Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Magnus Kvalheim <ma...@kvalheim.dk> on 2011/12/12 22:20:40 UTC

Re: Live reload in production?

Any update on this?

We're about to upgrade to T5.3, but conveniently use template reload in
production on rare occasions.
>From prior discussions a symbol would/could be introduced, but don't seem
like it has..?

Any way of supporting reload(without production=false)? Or is the dynamic
component the way to go?

Not a showstopper - just want to know what my options are...

thanks
Magnus

Posted by Bård Magnus Kvalheim <ma...@kvalheim.eu>.

> For 5.4, we can introduce yet another level of indirection that
> indicates that live reloading is desired in production mode; perhaps
> an enum to define what gets reloaded.  Is there a JIRA issue yet?

Thanks Howard - that sounds great.
Created issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1789

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Magnus Kvalheim <ma...@kvalheim.dk> wrote:
> Any update on this?
>
> We're about to upgrade to T5.3, but conveniently use template reload in
> production on rare occasions.
> From prior discussions a symbol would/could be introduced, but don't seem
> like it has..?
>
> Any way of supporting reload(without production=false)? Or is the dynamic
> component the way to go?

No real options for 5.3; the code simply is not present. I guess you
could run in development mode, and change the handling of the
exception report (if you are not always doing so). You may experience
some minor memory leak issues, as in development mode, component
fields with FieldConduits will write values into fields as the
FieldConduit's get() or set() method is invoked ... basically, this
means that per-thread state can get into a shared page instance and
will not be cleared (but will be rapidly overwritten by other
threads).  It doesn't affect class behavior, the fields are never
read, just written to, except in terms of dangling references to
otherwise unused objects.