Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Anderson, James H [IT]" <ja...@citigroup.com> on 2004/06/21 19:05:26 UTC

OT - why to get an answer to a j2ee install question?

Sorry this is off-topic, but I'm hoping someone can direct me to the proper list.

I'm trying to figure out how to install Sun's J2EE 1.3 package under OS X, but the only support provided is for Solaris, Redhat Linux, and Windoz. I need to find someone who's managed to do this.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions as to which lists might be appropriate for this.

Thanks,

jim

Re: OT - why to get an answer to a j2ee install question?

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@boxstuff.com>.
which bits do you need?

J2EE is a bit of a vague term dreamt up by marketing folk to describe
some genuinely good stuff. Be careful by the time you realize which
bits you don't need you'll have forgotten the problems you were trying
to solve in the first place.

Apple's dev tools was bundled with some J2EE goodies but now it a
separate download from the other devtools . If you get the devtools, I
have a fixed version of the xpetstore demo project that comes with
xcode, if that helps. Uses EJB's and all that jazz, but cant say I do.
But it also uses struts, xdoclet et al.

I wouldn't worry about those PC user type packages, you wont be missing
out on anything. Just get the bits you need when you need them, you'll
understand what you're doing better also.

Mark