Posted to dev@marmotta.apache.org by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> on 2013/10/03 17:57:30 UTC

thinking about graduation...

Hi,

although not yet official announced (awaiting to be mirrored), we could
say we've fulfilled the milestone of releasing a new version of
Marmotta. Not because the release itself, but for all those things we
have learned as project in the way. Since we joined Incubation in
December (although we actually started in February after we got LMF 2.6)
we have evolved a lot as team, and that can be noticed in how the
quality of the software has improved in these months. Thanks all of you
for such effort!

Therefore I think now we are finally ready to graduate Marmotta as a
Apache Top Level Project, so it's the time to seriously talk about it.
And I'd like to hear what you, all the team, do think about such
important step.

Personally I think the graduation would bring some clear benefits (more
self governance, more visibility, faster releases, etc) that we
currently don't have as a podling. But we still need to continue growing
as project, don't forget that.

BTW, there is a good guide about the graduation process [1]. Get the
name approved [2] would be one of the first things to push forward.

Cheers,

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-39

--
Sergio Fernández
Salzburg Research

Re: thinking about graduation...

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <ss...@apache.org>.
Am Donnerstag, den 03.10.2013, 17:57 +0200 schrieb Sergio Fernández:
> Hi,
>
> although not yet official announced (awaiting to be mirrored), we could
> say we've fulfilled the milestone of releasing a new version of
> Marmotta. Not because the release itself, but for all those things we
> have learned as project in the way. Since we joined Incubation in
> December (although we actually started in February after we got LMF 2.6)
> we have evolved a lot as team, and that can be noticed in how the
> quality of the software has improved in these months. Thanks all of you
> for such effort!
>
> Therefore I think now we are finally ready to graduate Marmotta as a
> Apache Top Level Project, so it's the time to seriously talk about it.
> And I'd like to hear what you, all the team, do think about such
> important step.

I agree that we should finally move forward. Can we quickly summarize
the steps that are remaining (by checking against the graduation guide
you mentioned)?

For quick reference, here is our status page:

      * http://incubator.apache.org/projects/marmotta.html

> Personally I think the graduation would bring some clear benefits (more
> self governance, more visibility, faster releases, etc) that we
> currently don't have as a podling. But we still need to continue growing
> as project, don't forget that.
>
> BTW, there is a good guide about the graduation process [1]. Get the
> name approved [2] would be one of the first things to push forward.
>
> Cheers,
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
> [2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-39

Greetings,

Sebastian

Re: thinking about graduation...

Posted by Jakob Frank <ja...@apache.org>.
On 16 October 2013 09:59, Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 16/10/13 09:40, Jakob Frank wrote:
>>
>> We are talking/discussing about individuals here, so IMHO the
>> PMC-Chair discussion should be moved toprivate@marmotta.i.a.o
>
> Do you think so? Personally I cannot find any reason why such discussion
> could not be public at dev@...
We are talking about people here, so it's the same like talking about
committers or pmc-members.

I think it's not right to discuss the pros/cons of a person (even for
a specific role) in the general public.

Best,
Jakob

Re: thinking about graduation...

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
On 16/10/13 09:40, Jakob Frank wrote:
> We are talking/discussing about individuals here, so IMHO the
> PMC-Chair discussion should be moved toprivate@marmotta.i.a.o

Do you think so? Personally I cannot find any reason why such discussion
could not be public at dev@...

--
Sergio Fernández
Senior Researcher
Knowledge and Media Technologies
T: +43 662 2288 318 | M: +43 660 2747 925
sergio.fernandez@salzburgresearch.at

Posted by Jakob Frank <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nandana Mihindukulasooriya <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>wrote:

>  On 15/10/13 17:09, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>
>> I have not contributed any code to Marmotta, due to a small matter of
>> not enough time, so I'll stay in contact via subscription on the dev@list.
>>

> I respect such position. At least would be nice to have you involved in
> some discussion on dev@ in the future :-)u

I would like to stay in the project though my contributions will be limited
due to time constraints and other responsibilities. However, I would like
to contribute as much as I can specially when in comes to LDP stuff as time
permits.

>  Technical leadership and chair are IMO two different things.
>>>

>> Agreed.
>>

> OK. So, what do you propose? I  would be willing on take such role, and
> Jakob I/ m pretty sure too. But that's something needs to be agreed by the
> community. Do we need to open a vote for such simple decision?

I think it would be nice to have a discuss thread or vote thread and keep
it open at least for 72 hours so that if anyone wants to propose someone /
object to someone they can do so.  I think you can even call for volunteers
here in this thread so that anyone has a chance to to propose themselves.
In either way, with a core community who knows each other pretty well, I
hope it shouldn't be much complex.

Best Regards,
Nandana

Re: thinking about graduation...

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 16/10/13 07:35, Sergio Fernández wrote:
> Hi,

>> Things for discussion on the dev@ list!
>
> And that's where we are... ;-)
>
>> I have not contributed any code to Marmotta, due to a small matter of
>> not enough time, so I'll stay in contact via subscription on the dev@
>> list.
>
> I respect such position. At least would be nice to have you involved in
> some discussion on dev@ in the future :-)
>
>>> Technical leadership and chair are IMO two different things.
>>
>> Agreed.
>
> OK. So, what do you propose?

Discuss!

Principals and project design on dev@

> I  would be willing on take such role, and
> Jakob I/ m pretty sure too. But that's something needs to be agreed by
> the community. Do we need to open a vote for such simple decision?

The project can decide how to deal with that - this isn't prescribed, it
has to be clear and a consensual process, and that's mainly for the long
term health of the PMC community.

If the project just agrees on person X by some now vote mechanism, then
the fact the name of the chair is written into the board resolution text
is enough IMO.

	Andy

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

2013/10/14 Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>:
> * The list of initial members of the project. Beside your mentoring during
> incubation, I'd like to have on board all our mentors after graduation. I
> really appreciate your experience, both about Apache and Semantic Web
> technologies. So, Andy, Fabian, Nandana, would you like to continue with us
> after graduation?

Sure - I would love to stay in the project ;)

> * Who would be the Apache Marmotta Vice President? Personally my candidate
> for such position is Sebastian, since he is the technical leader of the
> project

I think this decision is up to the current PPMC (excluding mentors).
Just keep in mind that the project chair is not someone with more
power. It is just a role of oversight and communication between board
and project. There are projects who change their chair on a regular
basis. While Sebastian is for sure a good candidate for the chair it
should not be on the fact that he is the technical leader. Technical

http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: thinking about graduation...

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
On 14/10/13 14:42, Jakob Frank wrote:
> FMPOV, the first step is for us to "decide" that we want to go for
> graduation - i.e. we need to VOTE. Our mentors already repeatedly told
> us to move forward, so I don't think there's an issue here.

Right. Checking the expected timing for graduation:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#toplevel

as sooner we start in best conditions we would arrive to the board
meeting in November. So, yes, let's start a community vote!

In parallel we could continue discussing the two remaining issues:
mentors joining the TLP and VP election.

Posted by Jakob Frank <ja...@apache.org>.
On 14 October 2013 12:16, Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
> * The list of initial members of the project. Beside your mentoring during
> incubation, I'd like to have on board all our mentors after graduation. I
> really appreciate your experience, both about Apache and Semantic Web
> technologies. So, Andy, Fabian, Nandana, would you like to continue with us
> after graduation?
++1

> * Who would be the Apache Marmotta Vice President? Personally my candidate
> for such position is Sebastian, since he is the technical leader of the
> project.
IMHO that's something we can discuss together with the preparation of
the resolution to the board.

FMPOV, the first step is for us to "decide" that we want to go for
graduation - i.e. we need to VOTE. Our mentors already repeatedly told
us to move forward, so I don't think there's an issue here.

So if nobody opposes, i'll start a VOTE tomorrow or the day after...

Best,
Jakob

Re: thinking about graduation...

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
OK, let's go through the graduation check list:

Preparations
------------

* Complete (and sign off) tasks documented in the status file

FMPOV http://incubator.apache.org/projects/marmotta.html looks complete.

* Ensure suitable names for project name and product names

PODLINGNAMESEARCH-39 has been approve on October 10th.

* Demonstrate ability to create Apache releases

Although we still need to improve our ability to create maintenance and
minor releases, I think the two incubating releases endorse us.

* Demonstrate community readiness

Community growing healthily: 2 new committers have joined the project,
and external users start to use it and report issues.

* Ensure Mentors and IPMC have no remaining issues

Something I could say much more, but nothing AFAIK.

Decide upon destination
-----------------------

Top Level Project is the clear target

Prepare a resolution
--------------------

I could easily create a draft based on the template, but before we need
to talk about two things:

* The list of initial members of the project. Beside your mentoring
during incubation, I'd like to have on board all our mentors after
graduation. I really appreciate your experience, both about Apache and
Semantic Web technologies. So, Andy, Fabian, Nandana, would you like to
continue with us after graduation?

* Who would be the Apache Marmotta Vice President? Personally my
candidate for such position is Sebastian, since he is the technical
leader of the project.

Incubator PMC (IPMC)
--------------------

And finally, we would need to prepare the VOTE according the recommended
text.

Further steps (handover and so on) would come later...

So, summarizing, besides those two small things to discuss, I think we
are ready to start the graduation process :-)

Posted by Sergio Fernández <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.
Hi,

Posted by Jakob Frank <ja...@apache.org>.
Another positive comment re. graduation by our October-Report Shepherd
(Andrei Savu (asavu), [1])!

The Podling status page looks complete [2], only the Podling-Name
search is still open [3] - who should close this issue? We? Mentors?
Someone from trademark@a.o?

Best,
Jakob

[1] http://markmail.org/message/uadwz2kuxobgsbyq