Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Afsar Mohiuddin <af...@hotmail.com> on 2010/12/16 19:34:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Virtual Servers Help

Hello Everyone,

I am using Apche 2.2.0. I have 4 virtual servers running on it. This server is in DMZ. All servers are accessible from inside the firewalls 24x7 but from outside, sometimes it on and sometimes it is off. I couldn't figure this out. There are no errors in error.log. I appreciate your help.

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Servers Help

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.
On 12/20/10 7:44 PM, Afsar Mohiuddin wrote:
> Given the facts. Any other ideas? Is there something that I should be
> trying.

This is a network problem.

Either your internet connection is down often, or somebody incompetent
manages your network and/or name services.

It's not an apache issue.

You should deploy solid monitoring tools and present evidence to the
person(s) responsible.

--
J.

RE: [users@httpd] Virtual Servers Help

Posted by Afsar Mohiuddin <af...@hotmail.com>.
Given the facts. Any other ideas? Is there something that I should be trying.

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:13:06 -0800
From: cjames@emolecules.com
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Servers Help

On 12/16/10 12:18 PM, Afsar Mohiuddin wrote:

I created a personal log checking access every hour. However, there is no pattern. Firewalls have same settings for other machines too but those machines are stand alones and have no virtual servers. CNAME are correct. Access log has GETs are getting 200s. Everything looks normal.

I get no response as if the server (dns) doesn't exist.  I can't ping or tracert as NetworkAdmin disabled both. I have a strong feeling that it is firewalls but our NetAdmin thinks otherwise. -- Thanks.
If Apache has nothing in the error log and nothing in the access log, and it works sometimes but not other times, then it's not Apache.  There's something wrong with your network, firewall or DNS.

If your network administrator has disabled ping and traceroute, then he's a bonehead.  How can you adminster a network with the primary diagnostic tool disabled?  Some admins think (incorrectly) that disabling ping somehow makes the network more secure.  They need to go back to school.

But that's a topic for a different forum...

Craig

Posted by "Craig A. James" <cj...@emolecules.com>.

Posted by Afsar Mohiuddin <af...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by "Craig A. James" <cj...@emolecules.com>.