Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/16 09:54:31 UTC

JDBC access to a Lucene index

Hi,

Some while ago I implemented a simple JDBC to JCR bridge [1] that
allows one to query a JCR repository from any JDBC client, most
notably various reporting tools.

Now I'm wondering if something similar already exists for a normal
Lucene index. Something that would treat your entire index as one huge
table (or perhaps a set of tables based on some document type field)
and would allow you to use simple SQL SELECTs to query data.

Any pointers would be welcome.

[1] http://dev.day.com/microsling/content/blogs/main/jdbc2jcr.html

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: JDBC access to a Lucene index

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Marcelo Ochoa <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   This is similar approach to Lucene Domain Index:
> http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddgw7sjp_54fgj9kg
>    But Lucene Domain Index is an specific implementation for Oracle
> Databases 10g/11g which is integrated through the ODCI API and
> replacing the Lucene file system storage by a BLOB storage.

Thanks for the pointer! Lucene Domain Index is not exactly what I'm
looking for, but it's seems close enough for me to at least borrow
some ideas from it.

Posted by Marcelo Ochoa <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zukka:
   This is similar approach to Lucene Domain Index:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddgw7sjp_54fgj9kg
    But Lucene Domain Index is an specific implementation for Oracle
Databases 10g/11g which is integrated through the ODCI API and
replacing the Lucene file system storage by a BLOB storage.
    Basically you defines Index on table columns and then query Lucene
Index by using a new operator:
       lcontains(col,lucene-query,op)
    two new ancillary operators:
       lscore(op)
       lhighlight(op)
    and some pipeline functions which provides highlighting, facets, and so on.
    But isn't a new JDBC driver implementation, you query Lucene
Domain Index using default Oracle's JDBC drivers.
    Best regards, Marcelo.
On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 4:59 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I'm not aware of any, but you might get more mileage asking on java-user.
>
> You're right, poor original choice of list from me.
>
> java-users@, here's my question from java-dev@:
>
> Some while ago I implemented a simple JDBC to JCR bridge [1] that
> allows one to query a JCR repository from any JDBC client, most
> notably various reporting tools.
>
> Now I'm wondering if something similar already exists for a normal
> Lucene index. Something that would treat your entire index as one huge
> table (or perhaps a set of tables based on some document type field)
> and would allow you to use simple SQL SELECTs to query data.
>
> Any pointers would be welcome. If this hasn't already been done, would
> there be interest in such a JDBC driver for Lucene?
>
> [1] http://dev.day.com/microsling/content/blogs/main/jdbc2jcr.html
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Marcelo F. Ochoa