Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org> on 2019/10/18 14:51:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] Rename the SQL ANY type to OPAQUE type

Hi everyone,

Stephan pointed out that our naming of a generic/blackbox/opaque type in
SQL might be not intuitive for users. As the term ANY rather describes a
"super-class of all types" which is not the case in our type system. Our
current ANY type stands for a type that is just a blackbox within SQL,
serialized by some custom serializer, that can only be modified within UDFs.

I also gathered feedback from a training instructor and native English
speaker (David in CC) where I received the following:

"The way I’m thinking about this is this: there’s a concept here that
people have to become aware of, which is that Flink SQL is able to
operate generically on opaquely typed things — and folks need to be able
to connect what they see in code examples, etc. with this concept (which
they may be unaware of initially).
I feel like ANY misses the mark a little bit, but isn’t particularly
bad. I do worry that it may cause some confusion about its purpose and
power. I think OPAQUE would more clearly express what’s going on."

Also resources like Wikipedia [1] show that this terminology is common:

"a data type whose concrete data structure is not defined [...] its
values can only be manipulated by calling subroutines that have access
to the missing information"

I would therefore vote for refactoring the type name because it is not
used much yet.

Implications are:

- a new parser keyword "OPAQUE" and changed SQL parser

- changes for logical type root, logical type visitors, and their usages

What do you think?

Thanks,

Timo

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opaque_data_type

Re: [DISCUSS] Rename the SQL ANY type to OPAQUE type

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

We have a clear favorite which is the RAW type. I will make sure that
this change is applied to the Flink code base.

Thanks again,
Timo

Posted by Terry Wang <zj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kurt Young <yk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jark Wu <im...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Lam <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Kurt Young <yk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "DONG, Weike" <ky...@connect.hku.hk>.
+1 for RAW type, which is easy to guess its actual meaning, even for a new
user.

Best,
Weike

Posted by David Anderson <da...@ververica.com>.