Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1996/11/21 22:58:04 UTC

WWW Form Bug Report: ""Action text/html /cgi-bin/footer" broken?" on Irix (fwd)

Not acked.

Something for the documentation writers to ponder on and perhaps talk to
this guy for inspiration for what to write  :-)

----- Forwarded message from ctkenyo@erenj.com -----

From: ctkenyo@erenj.com
To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
Date: Thu Nov 21 13:04:39 1996
Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: ""Action text/html /cgi-bin/footer" broken?" on Irix

Submitter: ctkenyo@erenj.com
Operating system: Irix, version: 5.3
Version of Apache Used: 1.1.1
Extra Modules used: asis, imap, action**, status, info, digest, cookies
URL exhibiting problem:

Symptoms:
--
This may border on a config issue, so read on at
your own patience tolerance ;-)

Problem Summary:

I just tried to follow the instructions in
srm.conf for adding a footer to all html docs.
ie, from srm.conf:

# Or to do this for all HTML files, for example, use:
#Action text/html /cgi-bin/footer

I uncommented the 'Action' line above and
restarted the server.  Not only does it not work,
but I'm also completely unable to understand the
behavior.

I'd post the URL but am behind a firewall ...

Symptoms:

Any url (both within document root and below)
returns the following error page:

File Not found
The requested URL /cgi-bin/footer/index.html was not found on this server

Other info:

Nothing shows up in the logs ...
No, I do not have a cgi-bin/footer cgi script (cgi is
enabled as other scripts work fine), but it does
not seem to be making it that far.

Any idea if there's a bug in the action module, or one of
the other extras that i've got, that may be overriding
Action's actions? ** I did try recompiling w/ the
Action module at the very top, in the event it was
overriding something from cgi, but the symptoms
were identical.

Also, it's not clear to me just what this 'footer'
cgi needs to do?  should i be slurping in everything
from standard input and returning an entire html
document w/ the appendage (I warned you this might
turn into babysitting;-)?

Finally, is it possible to have the server heavy-
handedly append a footer to all documents served
regardless of location?  Any walk-throughs or canned
cgi-footer scripts would be thoroughly appreciated.

Chuck Kenyon
ctkenyo@erenj.com

--

Backtrace: