Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Bill Barker <bi...@verizon.net> on 2010/02/21 01:51:36 UTC

Advise wanted on build issues

It looks like most of the problems related to castor-xml wanting to download
an older version of itself are related to portals-pluto's dependency on it.
The current Gump portals-pluto is the 1.0 version (which has been dead for
years).  So one option is to switch it to be a packaged project.   The other
is to change portals-pluto to be the current version (which is the "Gump
way").  But that project is huge, and so would take considerable time to set
up by anyone (such as myself) that isn't familiar with it.

The castor-reactor build wants Maven 2.1, which is probably a good idea to
be running on Gump.  I'm happy to do the upgrade for vmgump (and others, if
granted access to them), but don't know how Maven 2 was installed in the
first place.  I'm guessing it was just downloaded and installed, but if it
was installed by apt then it should be updated the same way.  However, I'm
not holding out hope that this will fix castor.

The lucene-java build is complaining that we have an ancient version of svn
installed.  I'm guessing that this was installed by apt, but it would be
nice to confirm before I try and update it.

Re: Advise wanted on build issues

Posted by Bill Barker <bi...@verizon.net>.
I've updated M2 on vmgump to 2.2.1.  However, apt-get thinks that subversion
1.5.1 is the latest.  I don't feel like manually installing 1.6.x, so
lucene-java is out of luck for now.

Posted by Bill Barker <bi...@verizon.net>.

>> It looks like most of the problems related to castor-xml wanting to
>> download an older version of itself are related to portals-pluto's
>> dependency on it.
>
> The castor-xml build is trying to download the trunk version of
> castor-core from http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org which isn't
> proxied by the Maven proxy.  This means it will not get the version just
> built - and there doesn't seem to be a jar available at codehaus.
>
> So far I expected the build would heal itself at one point by a snapshot
> jar becoming available, but I agree it has been taking a long time by
> now.
>
> One alternative would be to make the Maven proxy webapp aware of the
> codehaus snapshots repo but that isn't trivial either (the current
> webapp decides which real repository to use as fallback by looking at a
> path prefix and there is none for this specific repository so multiple
> fallbacks would be needed).
>
>> The current Gump portals-pluto is the 1.0 version (which has been dead
>> for years).  So one option is to switch it to be a packaged project.
>> The other is to change portals-pluto to be the current version (which
>> is the "Gump way").
>
> The downstream dependencies of pluto are likely to require a newer
> version at one point anyway.
>
>> But that project is huge, and so would take considerable time to set
>> up by anyone (such as myself) that isn't familiar with it.
>
> It uses Maven 2 and a reactor, doesn't it?  If so you can start out with
> a reactor build in a separate local repository and then add <option>s
> for all things it downloads during the build.  This works pretty well.

Yes, it is M2 and reactor, so will try and set it up.

>> The castor-reactor build wants Maven 2.1, which is probably a good
>> idea to be running on Gump.
>
> True.
>
>> I'm happy to do the upgrade for vmgump (and others, if granted access
>> to them), but don't know how Maven 2 was installed in the first place.
>> I'm guessing it was just downloaded and installed, but if it was
>> installed by apt then it should be updated the same way.
>
> No, it has been installed manually.
> <http://wiki.apache.org/gump/VmgumpConfig> is likely outdated in many
> ways by now, but at least for the Maven part it still tells the truth
> 8-)

Ok, will try and find time between builds to update on vmgump

>> However, I'm not holding out hope that this will fix castor.
>
> It may fix the reactor build.
>
>> The lucene-java build is complaining that we have an ancient version
>> of svn installed.  I'm guessing that this was installed by apt, but it
>> would be nice to confirm before I try and update it.
>
> It should be the apt version.

Ok, will update on vmgump

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-02-21, Bill Barker <bi...@verizon.net> wrote:

> It looks like most of the problems related to castor-xml wanting to
> download an older version of itself are related to portals-pluto's
> dependency on it.

The castor-xml build is trying to download the trunk version of
castor-core from http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org which isn't
proxied by the Maven proxy.  This means it will not get the version just
built - and there doesn't seem to be a jar available at codehaus.

So far I expected the build would heal itself at one point by a snapshot
jar becoming available, but I agree it has been taking a long time by
now.

One alternative would be to make the Maven proxy webapp aware of the
codehaus snapshots repo but that isn't trivial either (the current
webapp decides which real repository to use as fallback by looking at a
path prefix and there is none for this specific repository so multiple
fallbacks would be needed).

> The current Gump portals-pluto is the 1.0 version (which has been dead
> for years).  So one option is to switch it to be a packaged project.
> The other is to change portals-pluto to be the current version (which
> is the "Gump way").

The downstream dependencies of pluto are likely to require a newer
version at one point anyway.

> But that project is huge, and so would take considerable time to set
> up by anyone (such as myself) that isn't familiar with it.

It uses Maven 2 and a reactor, doesn't it?  If so you can start out with
a reactor build in a separate local repository and then add <option>s
for all things it downloads during the build.  This works pretty well.

> The castor-reactor build wants Maven 2.1, which is probably a good
> idea to be running on Gump.

True.