Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dan Davis <da...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/04 22:01:39 UTC

Best Practices for open source pipeline/connectors

I'm trying to do research for my organization on the best practices for
open source pipeline/connectors.   Since we need Web Crawls, File System
crawls, and Databases, it seems to me that Manifold CF might be the best
case.

Has anyone combined ManifestCF with Solr UpdateRequestProcessors or
DataImportHandler?   It would be nice to decide in ManifestCF which
resultHandler should receive a document or id, barring that, you can post
some fields including an URL and have Data Import Handler handle it - it
already supports scripts whereas ManifestCF may not at this time.

Suggestions and ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Re: Best Practices for open source pipeline/connectors

Posted by Dan Davis <da...@danizen.net>.
We are looking at LucidWorks, but also want to see what we can do on our
own so we can evaluate the value-add of Lucid Works among other products.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: Best Practices for open source pipeline/connectors

Posted by Dan Davis <da...@gmail.com>.
The volume and influx rate in my scenario are very modest.  Our largest
collections with existing indexing software is about 20 million objects,
second up is about 5 million, and more typical collections are in the tens
of thousands.   Aside from the 20 million object corpus, we re-index and
replicate nightly.

Note that I am not responsible for any specific operation, only for
advising my organization on how to go.   My organization wants to
understand how much "programming" will be involved using Solr rather than
higher level tools.   I have to acknowledge that our current solution
involves less "programming", even as I urge them to think of programming as
not a bad thing ;)   From my perspective, 'programming', that is,
configuration files in a git archive (with internal comments and commit
comments) is much, much more productive than using form-based configuration
software.  So, my organizations' needs and mine may be different...

Posted by "Jürgen Wagner (DVT)" <ju...@devoteam.com>.
Hello Dan,

--

<ma...@devoteam.com>, URL: www.devoteam.de