Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by Antony Stubbs <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/13 20:21:35 UTC

Re: maven portlet deployment

Yes I would also like to know what it does, and why it is necessary to use -
should we not simple be able to deploy simple wars that are portal
compatible? can't pluto detect their existence?

I have found this, but it doesn't really answer my question - from the
AssembleMojo javadoc:
 * The AssembleMojo is responsible for assembling a web application for
deployment
 * into the Pluto portlet container.  Assembly, in this context, is the
process of
 * updating a web application's WEB-INF/web.xml with Pluto specific
parameters for
 * deployment in Pluto.
 * <p>
 * This Mojo is able to operate on individual descriptors by specifying
<code>webXmlDestination</code>.
 * If your project uses standard Maven 2 directory layouts, the defaults
will
 * provide proper values.
 * <p/>
 * Example Maven 2 <code>pom.xml</code> usage:

-----

Re: maven portlet deployment

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 13, 2008, at 12:19 PM, Eric Dalquist wrote:

> That is a good question, I think they wanted to leave it up to the
> individual portal vendors but it can cause some confusion. The best
> policy it do develop with a 'clean' web.xml and only add the portal
> specific bits just before deploying (with a tool such as the Pluto
> Maven Plugin)

I thought that there was no assumption that a portlet container would
be an extended servlet container.  If the portlet container is
implemented to just deal with the portlets on its own then you
wouldn't need any kind of wrapping/web.xml modification.
Traditionally there hasn't been any support for deployment in javaee
specs with the exception of jsr88 which mostly seems to be ignored
AFAICT.  I do think having a jsr88 way to deploy a portlet app would
be nice but I doubt it will happen any time soon.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Eric Dalquist <er...@doit.wisc.edu>.

Posted by Antony Stubbs <an...@gmail.com>.