Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by John Windberg <jw...@yahoo.com> on 2005/05/18 03:44:04 UTC

running out of sockets???

I'm writing client code against Autodesk Vault web
services which are .Net code within an IIS instance.
After a series of calls I start getting "out of
sockets" or "access denied" errors, which seem to be
caused because IIS on this XP instance has a limited
number of available connections.

I'm only calling one at a time. Why would my
connections not be getting closed?

RE: running out of sockets???

Posted by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@gmail.com>.
Are you sure the problem is the http connections ?
I remember, long time ago, a problem with sockets on windows workstation
systems (NT and 2000) which source was the limited socket numbers. If i
remember well, unlike server versions, workstation configurations limit
socket number up to 5000. In a typical case when both your server and your
client run on the same system, you can quickly consume all your accepted
numbers. If you want more, you have to change some key in the registry
(sorry, i don't remember which one). The problem comes when many connections
are open in a short time. You must also adjust the time the stack keeps the
socket in close-wait state before the number can be used again... You can
check it with a netstat or a similar tools.
I hope this can help you.