Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by kk kk <ki...@yahoo.ie> on 2006/08/02 13:16:07 UTC

Too many sockets being created. Bad architecture?

Hi,

I am developing a WS which provides an operation that
takes around 25 seconds to complete. I can not speed
this up nor I can not use a polling pattern or a
callback to inform the client of the result of the
request.

I want to make the WS server capable to handle 100 new
requests per second, so 100 x 25 = 2500 sockets
connections will exist at any point in time with my
current design !! I am sure this is bad but am not
sure what is the best way to go to get a scalable
solution with a single server process.

I am using Axis 1.2 and Tomcat on the server which is
a Sun Solaris box. My test client is a Axis/Java
application though I need to be able to support other
clients too.

As expected, I can see huge numbers of open sockets
and FDs using unix commands like netstat and lsof.

I have been experimenting with TCP/IP kernel setting
on the server and using ideas from
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.express.doc/info/exp/ae/tprf_tunesolaris.html
I have used
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_conn_req_max_q 8000
to increase number of sockets that the server can
handle and this does seem to allow a 1500+ parallel
sockets to exist.

My question is :
What is the standard way to architect web services
which have a very long blocking synchronous operations
?
Assuming I have a small number of clients each making
many WS calls is there a way to somehow multiplex many
SOAP requests for eackh client down one socket?
Is there a way to get Axis/Tomcat server to use UDP/IP
rather than TCP/IP?

I am new to this and all ideas much appreciated.

Cheers,
KP

Re: Too many sockets being created. Bad architecture?

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
My question is :
What is the standard way to architect web services
which have a very long blocking synchronous operations
?

Don't. Design an asynchronous exchange instead.

Anne