Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Robert J Taylor <ro...@rjamestaylor.com> on 2004/04/22 22:34:08 UTC

James 2.1.2 - message stuck in transport state; spool grows; no error messages

Hi.

While anticipating 2.2.0 were are still using 2.1.2 with MySQL in
production. In the past month we have experienced a "silent sticking" of
messages in the spool.

I cannot see a message in the logs or going to STDERR (I log STDERR,
too, just in case) that relates to the stuck and growing spool queue. In
fact the way I know the condition exists is that email is not being
delivered (and I now monitor the spool row count).

Example, today.

mysql> select message_state, count(*) from spool group by message_state;

message_state, count(*)
-------------------------
root, 3
transport, 101

Previous days we copy the spool, delete trash messages (somehow related
it seems, though no message says so), shutdown James via remotemanager,
delete spool, insert parred queue and restart. Sometimes this process
takes hours. (There has to be a better way!).

Today we set up a second instance of James without POP, SMTP, etc,  and
allowed it to hit the spool. On the first start up one message escaped
the spool. Then, nothing. We shutdown the second instance and restarted
it. A few more messages escaped. Now the spool queue looks thusly:

mysql> select message_state, count(*) from spool group by message_state;

message_state, count(*)
-------------------------
error, 2
root , 8
transport, 90

Shutdown instance 2, restart it, and this:

mysql> select message_state, count(*) from spool group by message_state;

message_state, count(*)
--------------------------
root, 10
transport, 89

Our configuration, modified judiciously, is included below. All help
appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert Taylor
robert@rjamestaylor.com

Re: James 2.1.2 - message stuck in transport state; spool grows; no error messages

Posted by Robert J Taylor <ro...@rjamestaylor.com>.
Noel,

You nailed it. There I was *increasing* threads to break out of what
appeared to be single-threaded behavior. I hadn't considered
deadlocking.  Immediate problem solved.

Thanks.

Robert Taylor

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.