Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by tony schmidt <to...@hotmail.com> on 2005/06/13 18:45:29 UTC

Problem creating TTF metrics file - TTFReader FileNotFoundException

I have seen this topic mentioned elsewhere in the list, but have not found a
satisfactory solution to the problem.

I am trying to create a TTF metrics file according to the instructions at:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/fonts.html , but have not had any luck on either
Windows XP or
Linux operating systems.  Both produce the following error:

------------------------ BEGIN ERROR MESSAGE

TTF Reader v1.1.1

Reading Garamond.ttf...

Number of glyphs in font: 662
Creating xml font file...

Creating CID encoded metrics
Writing xml font file garamond.xml...

javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
file:/mnt/hda4/apps/fop-0.20.5/garamond.xml (No such file or directory)
at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.createResultContentHandler(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:263)
at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.transform(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:296)
at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.writeFontXML(TTFReader.java:242)
at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main(TTFReader.java:196)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
file:/mnt/hda4/apps/fop-0.20.5/garamond.xml (No such file or directory)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.createResultContentHandler(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:253)
... 3 more---------
java.io.FileNotFoundException: file:/mnt/hda4/apps/fop-0.20.5/garamond.xml
(No such file or directory)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.createResultContentHandler(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:253)
at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.transform(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:296)
at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.writeFontXML(TTFReader.java:242)
at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main(TTFReader.java:196)
This font contains no embedding license restrictions

----------------------------------- END ERROR MESSAGE
--------------------------------------

I am using the following command with fop-0.20.5 and j2sdk1.4.2_08:

----------------------------------- BEGIN COMMAND

java -cp
build/fop.jar:lib/avalon-framework-cvs-20020806.jar:lib/xml-apis.jar:lib/xercesImpl-2.2.1.jar:lib/xalan-2.4.1.jar
org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader Garamond.ttf garamond.xml

---------------------------------- END COMMAND

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Schmidt

Re: Problem creating TTF metrics file - TTFReader FileNotFoundException

Posted by tony schmidt <to...@hotmail.com>.
I'm using the 1.4.2 sdk.

Posted by Jeffery PinterParsons <je...@comcast.net>.

Posted by tony schmidt <to...@hotmail.com>.
Victory!

After trying everything you suggested, J.Pietschmann, and finding everything
worked fine, I remembered what Jeffery PinterParsons said about FOP only
supporting JRE 1.4.x - and, sure enough, when I installed the 1.4.2 sdk, I
didn't even think about having an existing 1.5 JRE which wasn't
over-written.

Making sure I was calling the right 1.4.2 JRE was all it took - now
TTFReader works like a charm.  I've got my font metrics file and I'm on my
way to embedding some pretty Garamond in my FOP output.

Thanks everyone!

Tony Schmidt

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by tony schmidt <to...@hotmail.com>.
Good guess, J.Pietschmann.  I've had problems like that before.  That's why
I made sure everything was on the same file system, as well.  Still no
luck...

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by tony schmidt <to...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
> [...]

> org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.createResultContentHandler(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:253)
> at
> org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.transform(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:296)
> at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.writeFontXML(TTFReader.java:242)
> at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main(TTFReader.java:196)
> This font contains no embedding license restrictions

> I am using the following command with fop-0.20.5 and j2sdk1.4.2_08:

> java -cp
> build/fop.jar:lib/avalon-framework-cvs-20020806.jar:lib/xml-apis.jar:lib/xercesImpl-2.2.1.jar:lib/xalan-2.4.1.jar
> org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader Garamond.ttf garamond.xml

Jeremias Maerki