Posted to apachecon-discuss@apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2012/08/03 15:38:07 UTC

Re: Venue visit ApacheCon EU Sinsheim Notes

Nick,

Thanks for summarizing all the various peoples reports in this one mail.

Can I suggest that it is long past time for separating out these
issues and tasking appropriate volunteers for driving things forwards.
We need a planning time. We need regular calls to make sure things are
not being dropped.

I guess what I'm saying is we need a plan (it's great that there is
now information on which we can build this plan - thank you all)

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: Venue visit ApacheCon EU Sinsheim Notes

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney
<le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nick
>
> On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> Certainly I am able to do this today. Do you have a link to other such
> announcements so I can get a feel for scope and content? Thank you

A quick update, I've filed a a 1st draft for the [ANN] at this link

http://wiki.apache.org/concom-planning/ACEU12CFPAnnouncement#Announcement_for_Technical_and_Financial_Assistance

I've also forwarded it to travel-assistance@ list

Thanks, it would eb great if you could get back to me regarding the
other parts I mentioned.

All the best
Lewis

Re: Venue visit ApacheCon EU Sinsheim Notes

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> Currently, the only one outstanding is the TAC announcement. Are you able to
> help draft that? If so, please send it through to the travel-assistance list
> for a quick review then it'll go out.

Certainly I am able to do this today. Do you have a link to other such
announcements so I can get a feel for scope and content? Thank you

> You can see the track chairs details here:
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgZqERZgbUeSdF9xcFdpNkp2UWNLUThxX3NYc1pZWnc#gid=0
>
> NoSQL is currently short a 2nd, and the Encore half day track needs someone
> too if it can do. The combination of Big Data and NoSQL is quite possibly
> going to be multiple sessions and/or multiple days, so we could maybe also
> use some extra volunteers on that as it'll be more work than others.

I see the spreadsheet is immutable. Please put me down for NoSQL 2nd
chair. Also can you also please add Apache Gora to either Big Data or
NoSQL. It's a bit of a tough one here as Gora covers technologies and
subjects common to both tracks. If I am able to obtain write karma
then I can make these changes myself. Then of course put me down for
Encore session as well. I have no problems with this also.

> We're also after someone to help on the sponsor liason front, if that's
> something you have experience with / interest in working on?

I need to be honest here and say that I'm in no mans land w.r.t this.
Taking on a formal role and not knowing what I'm doing is probably not
the best thing for me.

> Great, thanks! We will certainly have a number of areas on the ground that
> need help. For now, the main focus is on the pre-conference tasks that need
> help

No hassle at all. Apologies for stepping in later on that I had
originally planned. If you can answer the above then I'll get to work
ASAP.

Thanks
Lewis

Re: Venue visit ApacheCon EU Sinsheim Notes

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 4 Aug 2012, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Aug 2012, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> My requests for help with announcements have largely fallen on deaf ears :(
>
> How many announcements have to be done? What is the format? Where can I
> begin? Are there more members required to join the Apache events PMC...
> maybe a recruitment boost is required here?

Currently, the only one outstanding is the TAC announcement. Are you able
to help draft that? If so, please send it through to the travel-assistance
list for a quick review then it'll go out.

(There have been others needed, requests for help were sent here, but
these have eventually been written by either myself or Sally)

> What positions do we still need covered? I would like to help out here
> but don't know which positions are still vacant? Either big data or
> NoSQL chair would be my preference if this position was available.

You can see the track chairs details here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgZqERZgbUeSdF9xcFdpNkp2UWNLUThxX3NYc1pZWnc#gid=0

NoSQL is currently short a 2nd, and the Encore half day track needs
someone too if it can do. The combination of Big Data and NoSQL is quite
possibly going to be multiple sessions and/or multiple days, so we could
maybe also use some extra volunteers on that as it'll be more work than
others.

We're also after someone to help on the sponsor liason front, if that's
something you have experience with / interest in working on?

> W.r.t previous TAC roles e.g. recording, gathering presentations. doing
> time on Apache stand, etc. I will also be bouncing around for all of
> these when the conference comes around but any position I am able to
> participate in pre-conference please let me know.

Great, thanks! We will certainly have a number of areas on the ground that
need help. For now, the main focus is on the pre-conference tasks that
need help

Nick

Re: Venue visit ApacheCon EU Sinsheim Notes

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

Building on the positives. Some of this stuff I can/would like to help
with are below

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Ross Gardler
<rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> I get the feeling there are quite a few volunteers willing to
> help, is just that the tasks are a little lost in big reports (which is a
> huge step up from no info - thanks to everyone working hard on this)

+1 for me has unfortunately been the case.

Lewis

Re: Venue visit ApacheCon EU Sinsheim Notes

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Nick,

If I may suggest the need is for a planning team who, collectively agree to
make this event a success. In the past regular calls to keep people
informed, coupled with clear task descriptions in those calls have worked
quite well. I get the feeling there are quite a few volunteers willing to
help, is just that the tasks are a little lost in big reports (which is a
huge step up from no info - thanks to everyone working hard on this)

As for the ComDev track description, note I am *not* the chair for that
track. I will ensure it gets done though, thanks for flagging.

Ross

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 3 Aug 2012, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Can I suggest that it is long past time for separating out these issues
> and tasking appropriate volunteers for driving things forwards. We need
> a planning time. We need regular calls to make sure things are not being
> dropped.

Do we have any volunteers who'd be on these calls though?

We've had some luck with getting volunteers to sign up as track chairs,
though we've had quite a few emails from people surprised that their
favourite area hasn't magically happened due to a lack of volunteers. So,
it hasn't been as promising as we'd hoped. Quite a few of the "likely
suspects" have agreed to help with this.

We've had excellent luck with getting people to help with investigating
hotels, site visits etc, and generally working to supply local knowledge.

My requests for help with announcements have largely fallen on deaf ears
:(