Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2017/05/11 14:46:51 UTC

[Numbers] Angle class?

Hi.

Please have a look at
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUMBERS-37

Comments, suggestions, objections?

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Numbers] Angle class?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Thu, 11 May 2017 13:45:28 -0400, Raymond DeCampo wrote:
> My first thought is that adding geometry to commons-numbers is too
> much
> "scope creep" for lack of a better term.  There's a lot of code under
> the
> org.apache.commons.math4.geometry package in CM.
>
> I guess I am wondering where we want to draw the line.  Obviously we
> do not
> want all of CM in numbers or we will be back where we started when we
> began
> splitting it up.

Well said. ;-)

Gilles

Re: [Numbers] Angle class?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Fri, 12 May 2017 19:26:08 -0400, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>> On May 12, 2017, at 6:49 PM, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
>> wrote:

>>> It's less about what the definition of "number" is and more about
>>> setting
>>> some boundaries as to what belongs and what does not.  Geometry is
>>> convenient boundary in my eyes.
>>>
>>> If PlaneAngle belongs in numbers, shouldn't Plane from CM also
>>> belong?  And
>>> if Plane is in, shouldn't Line be there?  And so on and so on.
>>> It's
>>> tougher to draw the line (no pun intended) with PlaneAngle
>>> included.
>>>
>>> Matrices are not exclusively used in a geometric setting so I don't
>>> see a
>>> problem there.
>>
>> And the same goes for "angle".  [I've a class that uses the method
>> "MathUtils.normalizeAngle" from "Commons Math" and nothing from its
>> "o.a.c.m.geometry" package.]
>> For such a simple and useful concept, it's unreasonable to wait for
>> the rethinking of the whole of the "geometry" package to happen...
>>
>> As for the module, do we mind a few more bytes?
>> It leaves room for expansion (not that I intend to do it
>> personally),
>> and it avoids that "core" becomes the place where we put every
>> little
>> thing that does not belong elsewhere.  [If it turns out that "core"
>> contains only two classes, a question might be whether those should
>> not also belong to their own module with a name that better reflects
>> its content.]
>>
>> Lastly, if "Commons Numbers", as several other components, is also
>> taken
>> as a companion to the JDK, then having "toRadians()" and
>> "toDegrees()"
>> methods defined in "java.lang.Math" makes "PlaneAngle" a natural
>> fit.
>
> That make sense to me. If we're going to forgo the natural
> delineations that derive from the algebraic structures, then using
> java.lang.Math as a guide for boundaries on the component seems quite
> natural.

Yes, although I didn't quite mean that what is not in "java.lang.Math"
should not belong to a "Commons" component. [That also does not hold
true for several components that do not have any direct counterparts
within the JDK.]

I think that we are almost done with the contents of "Commons Numbers";
a few other "utils" classes are still to be moved from CM (and possibly
refactored):
  * "CombinatoricsUtils" and "Combinations" (NUMBERS-29 and NUMBERS-34)
  * "MathArrays" and "ResizeableDoubleArray" (NUMBERS-30)
  * "Beta" and "Erf"
  * "IntegerSequence" and "MultidimensionalCounter"

Hopefully, those utilities will get more visibility when available
in their own modules rather than when accumulated within the
"o.a.c.math4.util" package.

Gilles

Re: [Numbers] Angle class?

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On May 12, 2017, at 6:49 PM, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

>>> Are we defining numbers using the fundamental theorem of Algebra? Maybe,
>>> that’s what should go in core?
>>>
>>> Clearly that would leave out the quaternions, matrices (which have an
>>> implicit geometrical bias), and other constructions out of numbers from the
>>> Complex Field.
>>>

>> It's less about what the definition of "number" is and more about setting
>> some boundaries as to what belongs and what does not.  Geometry is a
>> convenient boundary in my eyes.
>>
>> If PlaneAngle belongs in numbers, shouldn't Plane from CM also belong?  And
>> if Plane is in, shouldn't Line be there?  And so on and so on.  It's
>> tougher to draw the line (no pun intended) with PlaneAngle included.
>>
>> Matrices are not exclusively used in a geometric setting so I don't see a
>> problem there.
>
> And the same goes for "angle".  [I've a class that uses the method
> "MathUtils.normalizeAngle" from "Commons Math" and nothing from its
> "o.a.c.m.geometry" package.]
> For such a simple and useful concept, it's unreasonable to wait for
> the rethinking of the whole of the "geometry" package to happen...
>
> As for the module, do we mind a few more bytes?
> It leaves room for expansion (not that I intend to do it personally),
> and it avoids that "core" becomes the place where we put every little
> thing that does not belong elsewhere.  [If it turns out that "core"
> contains only two classes, a question might be whether those should
> not also belong to their own module with a name that better reflects
> its content.]
>
> Lastly, if "Commons Numbers", as several other components, is also taken
> as a companion to the JDK, then having "toRadians()" and "toDegrees()"
> methods defined in "java.lang.Math" makes "PlaneAngle" a natural fit.

That make sense to me. If we're going to forgo the natural delineations that derive from the algebraic structures, then using java.lang.Math as a guide for boundaries on the component seems quite natural.

-Rob

Re: [Numbers] Angle class?

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
I'd also like to add that I'm not sure comparing what's included in
java.lang and other old Java packages isn't the best indicator of
modularisation. Sure, you could say that about newer Java releases where
there was quite a bit more discipline toward breaking functionality up into
appropriate packages, but when you compare that with what was available
since Java 1.0 or 1.1 or so, you may notice that original versions of Java
weren't so disciplined about it (which seems to be a pretty typical way
that Java libraries are developed where the original version doesn't have
to break everything up so fine grained just yet).

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [Numbers] Angle class?

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Numbers] Angle class?

Posted by Raymond DeCampo <ra...@decampo.org>.
On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 6:49 PM, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, 12 May 2017 13:31:46 -0400, Raymond DeCampo wrote:

>>> Are we defining numbers using the fundamental theorem of Algebra? Maybe,
>>> that’s what should go in core?
>>>
>>> Clearly that would leave out the quaternions, matrices (which have an
>>> implicit geometrical bias), and other constructions out of numbers from
>>> the
>>> Complex Field.
>>>

>>> It's less about what the definition of "number" is and more about setting
>> some boundaries as to what belongs and what does not.  Geometry is a
>> convenient boundary in my eyes.
>>
>> If PlaneAngle belongs in numbers, shouldn't Plane from CM also belong?
>> And
>> if Plane is in, shouldn't Line be there?  And so on and so on.  It's
>> tougher to draw the line (no pun intended) with PlaneAngle included.
>>
>> Matrices are not exclusively used in a geometric setting so I don't see a
>> problem there.
>>

> And the same goes for "angle".  [I've a class that uses the method
> "MathUtils.normalizeAngle" from "Commons Math" and nothing from its
> "o.a.c.m.geometry" package.]

The point is that matrices as a mathematical concept have utility outside
of geometry not that a program might make use of them without using
o.a.c.m.geometry.

> For such a simple and useful concept, it's unreasonable to wait for
> the rethinking of the whole of the "geometry" package to happen...

What's the rush to add this to numbers if equivalent functionality already
exists in java.lang.Math and CM MathUtils?

> As for the module, do we mind a few more bytes?
> It leaves room for expansion (not that I intend to do it personally),
> and it avoids that "core" becomes the place where we put every little
> thing that does not belong elsewhere.  [If it turns out that "core"
> contains only two classes, a question might be whether those should
> not also belong to their own module with a name that better reflects
> its content.]

It's not the "bytes" it's the overhead.  Having a module containing only
one class is extreme.

> Lastly, if "Commons Numbers", as several other components, is also taken
> as a companion to the JDK, then having "toRadians()" and "toDegrees()"
> methods defined in "java.lang.Math" makes "PlaneAngle" a natural fit.

I do not see this argument at all.  The JDK java.lang.Math class is a
collection of static utilities which are loosely related.  Following this
line of organization is a recipe to repeat the problems with CM.  Second, I
do not think of CM or "Commons Numbers" as companions to the JDK.  The JDK
does not provide enough math-related code for this to be a companion.
Commons-lang and commons-collections are companions.

Re: [Numbers] Angle class?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Re: [Numbers] Angle class?

Posted by Raymond DeCampo <ra...@decampo.org>.

Re: [Numbers] Angle class?

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
> On May 12, 2017, at 11:49 AM, Raymond DeCampo <ra...@decampo.org> wrote:
>
> I still think that we should leave geometric concepts out of
> commons-numbers.

Are we defining numbers using the fundamental theorem of Algebra? Maybe, that’s what should go in core?

Clearly that would leave out the quaternions, matrices (which have an implicit geometrical bias), and other constructions out of numbers from the Complex Field.

Just some thoughts…

-Rob

Re: [Numbers] Angle class?

Posted by Raymond DeCampo <ra...@decampo.org>.

Re: [Numbers] Angle class?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Re: [Numbers] Angle class?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Re: [Numbers] Angle class?

Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.
Agreed with Raymond +1

If we want to make things modular I would prefer core should have very core
part of numbers in CN which were in Commons Math and already separated in
from CM to CN, as Angle is the part of geometry  the package for it should
be like.

package some.pkg.geometry.core;

IMHO PlaneAngle should be part of geometry.

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:15 PM, Raymond DeCampo <ra...@decampo.org> wrote:

> My first thought is that adding geometry to commons-numbers is too much
> "scope creep" for lack of a better term.  There's a lot of code under the
> org.apache.commons.math4.geometry package in CM.
>
> I guess I am wondering where we want to draw the line.  Obviously we do not
> want all of CM in numbers or we will be back where we started when we began
> splitting it up.
>

> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi.