Posted to users@maven.apache.org by pt <mn...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/13 14:13:22 UTC

Creating archetypes: archetype.xml or archetype-metadata.xml or both?

I am confused by some of the wording in the guide to creating archetypes
(http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-creating-archetypes.html):

---- cut here ---
An archetype is made up of:
   * an archetype descriptor (archetype.xml in directory:
src/main/resources/META-INF/maven/).
Note: this mini-guide has been written for archetype plugin version
1.0.x ... . Archetype plugin 2.0.x ... __adds__ (emphasis mine) a new
archetype descriptor (stored in archetype-metadata.xml file)
---- cut here ---

I interpret this as saying that to create a v2 archetype, both the
original archetype.xml and the v2 archetype-metadata.xml files are
required.  I'm having a hard type creating an archetype, and
maintaining two files that contain the same basic info is a bit of a
pain.

--
<Insert your favorite quote here as a signature or risk looking like a
squeamish ossifrage>