Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2010/02/22 23:14:32 UTC

How to move Pivot forward?

Though we have only gotten two responses on the SWT question, it seems as though an SWT port may not be the best way to move Pivot forward. Michael made some great suggestions. What do others think? What can we do to help raise awareness of and interest in Pivot as a viable alternative to other Java-based UI technologies?

Re: How to move Pivot forward?

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,

> I have considered this as well. Pivot + Tomcat would be a great combination.
Great, I'm happy of this.

> Maybe you could ping their dev/users lists and run the idea by them?
Yes, I can try to contact someone, and see what happens ... I'll tell
the dev list updated on this.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: How to move Pivot forward?

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
I have considered this as well. Pivot + Tomcat would be a great combination. Maybe you could ping their dev/users lists and run the idea by them?

Re: How to move Pivot forward?

Re: How to move Pivot forward?

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
> ExtJS really took off when Sonatype used it for the Nexus Repository UI.

Yeah, it's too bad they aren't using Pivot since Maven is also an Apache project.

> One I can think of is a JIRA app (we talked about it before).  The HTML
> browser on Apache is lame, and so many people use JIRA a successful app
> would get a lot of eyes.

JIRA is a possibility as is Confluence. Just need to find some interested party to work on it (or fund it).  :-)

Re: How to move Pivot forward?

Posted by Michael Bushe <mi...@bushe.com>.
I agree with Sandro that Pivot needs to have a killer attraction.  Though
Sandro mentioned a killer feature, I think a killer app would be more in
order.

ExtJS really took off when Sonatype used it for the Nexus Repository UI.
JavaFX got press when it was used for the Winter Olympics site.
Karsten's  JGoodies got a lot of notice when he made JDiskReport.

Are there any useful apps that can be donated to the community to get
attention?

One I can think of is a JIRA app (we talked about it before).  The HTML
browser on Apache is lame, and so many people use JIRA a successful app
would get a lot of eyes.

Michael Bushe
Principal
Bushe Enterprises, Inc.
michael@bushe.com
www.bushe.com

Re: How to move Pivot forward?

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: How to move Pivot forward?

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
This is another reason why a cookbook approach might work well. I envision the cookbook as a collection of examples vs. packaged solutions - lower expectations for what the code will do, and less to maintain.

Re: How to move Pivot forward?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to move Pivot forward?

Re: How to move Pivot forward?

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
I actually like the idea of making such "add-ons" public, but I think they might be better suited to a "Pivot cookbook" than a repository of custom components. I envision something along the lines of the Pivot tutorial, but a bit more targeted (e.g. "how do I build a combo box?", "how do I write a custom tree node renderer?", etc.). I would want this to be a place where the community can post their own examples in addition to any we might post.

The reason I like this approach is that, in general, these things *are* supported by the platform - we just can't support every possible permutation out of the box. This way, developers can see how such features are actually built, which will help build their understanding of other ways in which the platform can be customized.

To your point about being patient: I agree. But it is difficult.  :-)  I also don't see any harm in being proactive where we can. So, in my opinion, the more we can do to promote Pivot, the better.

Re: How to move Pivot forward?

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to move Pivot forward?