Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Łukasz Matuszewski <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/25 19:04:52 UTC

Upgrading Tomcat 7.0.29 windows service

Welcome,
  i have installed Apache Tomcat 7.0.29 as windows service onto Windows
Server 2008. I want to upgrade Apache Tomcat 7.0.29 to new version 7.0.33.
My question is simple:

Can i just copy all jars from Apache Tomcat 7.0.33 to appriopriate place in
my Apache Tomcat 7.0.29 installation ?

Re: Upgrading Tomcat 7.0.29 windows service

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
"Łukasz Matuszewski" <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Welcome,
>  i have installed Apache Tomcat 7.0.29 as windows service onto Windows
>Server 2008. I want to upgrade Apache Tomcat 7.0.29 to new version
>7.0.33.
>My question is simple:
>
>Can i just copy all jars from Apache Tomcat 7.0.33 to appriopriate
>place in
>my Apache Tomcat 7.0.29 installation ?

It is not recommended but in this case it should work. You need to:
- stop the service
- replace the JARs
- empty the work directory
- apply config file updates (see http://tomcat.apache.org/migration-7.html#Upgrading_7.0.x)
- cross your fingers
- start the service

It is one of those, "if you know what you are doing you should be OK" situations. You could also mess things up fairly easily.

Mark