Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Chris Redekop <ch...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/14 17:54:54 UTC

The Eclipse Plugin and Project Substitution

The Eclipse plugin currently has a "workspace" configuration option.
This option directs the plugin to figure out
repo-artifact-to-Eclipse-project dependency substitutions by analyzing
the existing projects in the specified Eclipse workspace.

Rather than have the Eclipse plugin figure out these substitutions, I
want to directly configure the substitutions with a map of {dependency
(GAV) -> project}.  When the Eclipse plugin handles a dependency, in
can first check the map.  If the map contains an entry for the
dependency, then the specified project is used; otherwise, the
repo-artifact is used.

The old Maven 1 plugin had something like this, in the form of a "project" flag:

http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/plugins/eclipse/faq.html#project_dependencies

Adding this functionality *seems* doable to me at this point, but the
history of a similar feature disappearing from the Maven 1 plugin
makes me wonder: maybe this is a Bad Idea?

Comments?