Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Kevin Grover <ke...@kevingrover.net> on 2008/03/22 18:10:46 UTC

Re: Ignore patterns should not be case sensitive (usability)

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> "John M. Black" <jo...@gmail.com> writes:
>  > [...]
>

>  > Please consider making Ignore pattern-matching case insensitive.
>  >
>  > OR at the very least, let the user choose.  Maybe the easiest way to
>  > do this is to keep the current Ignore property intact, and add a new
>  > property "svn:ignoreNoCase".  That way users can have it either way
>  > for any item.
>
>  How about a new property, "svn:Ignore", that means...
>
>  Okay, sorry, bad joke.
>
>  We could use an extra property, like you say, or a run-time
>  configuration option, or both.  The run-time option is probably easiest
>  to implement.  Would it be a compatibility break to have that option
>  turned on by default (given that a user could always turn it off)?  I
>  don't know.
>
>  Another possibility: be case-insensitive just for patterns of the form
>  "*.foo", which probably covers more than 90% of the use cases.
>
>  I'm just tossing out ideas here.  At some point, we should take this
>  thread to dev@, and see if we can get consensus on a solution.  I do see
>  your point about how the current behavior is (usually) not great.
>
>  -Karl

How about adding configuration options to svn:ignore?  Like .hgignore
does for setting the syntax.
eg.
--------------------------- .hgignore
# use glob syntax.
syntax: glob

*.elc
*.pyc
*~
.*.swp

# switch to regexp syntax.
syntax: regexp
^\.pc/
--------------------------- .hgignore

SVN could have an option:
option: [+-]casesensative

Where +casentative is the default option (and this maintains comapitility.
If this could potentially break current properties lists, there could
be another svn:ignore-options where these were set.

In the processes, couldn't '# blah...' be allowed as comments?

Re: Ignore patterns should not be case sensitive (usability)

Posted by Chris Rose <ch...@messagingdirect.com>.
Karl Fogel wrote:
> "Kevin Grover" <ke...@kevingrover.net> writes:
>
>> How about adding configuration options to svn:ignore?  Like .hgignore
>> does for setting the syntax.
>> eg.
>> --------------------------- .hgignore
>> # use glob syntax.
>> syntax: glob
>>
>> *.elc
>> *.pyc
>> *~
>> .*.swp
>>
>> # switch to regexp syntax.
>> syntax: regexp
>> ^\.pc/
>> --------------------------- .hgignore
>>
>> SVN could have an option:
>> option: [+-]casesensative
>>
>> Where +casentative is the default option (and this maintains comapitility.
>> If this could potentially break current properties lists, there could
>> be another svn:ignore-options where these were set.
>>
>> In the processes, couldn't '# blah...' be allowed as comments?
>>

> Neat idea!  I kind of like that, and it's hard to imagine that anyone
> has actually set ignore properties for files matching the regexp:
>
>    ^option: [a-z0-9]+
>
> In other words, it is effectively backwards-compatible.
>
> Anyone think this is a bad idea?

I don't think it's a bad idea, per se, but I think that Kevin's
description of Mercury's format should be included as well; if svn
supports both option: and syntax: forms, then it's possible to provide a
nice, flexible svn:ignore to all comers.

Re: Ignore patterns should not be case sensitive (usability)

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Kevin,

the svn:ignore is already glob syntax and global-ignores in config file
as well.

Same discussion on the user@ list...
Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Re: Ignore patterns should not be case sensitive (usability)

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.