Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2007/11/13 20:44:47 UTC

5-minute Tutorial on Enterprise Application Development with Eclipse and Geronimo (was Re: problems when deploy ejb in eclipse)

On Nov 12, 2007 2:40 PM, beyondjusitn <be...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I really appreciate if you could help me out. In deed, there isn't much, I
> think.

Nope, it was not so I sit down and wrote a "5-minute tutorial on
enterprise application development with Eclipse and Geronimo".

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxSAMPLES/5-minute+introduction+to+enterprise+application+development+with+Eclipse+and+Geronimo

Now it's your turn to give it a try and comment.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: 5-minute Tutorial on Enterprise Application Development with Eclipse and Geronimo (was Re: problems when deploy ejb in eclipse)

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Nov 21, 2007 5:13 PM, beyondjusitn <be...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Jacek. Probably I will give up Eclipse. And turn to NetBeans
> immediately.

Wait, wait. Use Eclipse for now as there's no plugin for NetBeans yet.
When it's available we'll get back to it.

Jacek

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi again Justin, well as you might imagine my advice for best IDE/Server
combination is somewhat biased towards Eclipse and Geronimo. I like Eclipse
because of what it can do on my behalf (e.g., wizards for creating various Java
EE 5 artifacts--like EJB's, creation of Geronimo-specific deployment plans,
etc). I especially like the code assist capabilities of Eclipse, and the
debugger in Eclipse is simply the best I've seen (or used). The debugger can be
used to debug applications (e.g., EJB's) while they are actually running on the
server, which is very powerful. Also, as you probably already know Eclipse is
very extensible--there are plugins available for almost anything you can
imagine. With all this said though I'm sure there are other IDE's that can
provide similar capabilities as Eclipse (I know a lot of Geronimo committers use
the IntelliJ Idea IDE but i've never used it so I can't really comment on
it--maybe some users of Idea might be willing to do so). I'm not sure there is a
perfect combination for everyone though -- a lot has to do with your level of
expertise and experience. If you are new to developing Java EE 5 applications,
which I think you are, the Eclipse/Geronimo combination is a good combination to
start with since it will mitigate some of the complexities of developing Java EE
5 applications, and hide most of the details of the Geronimo-specific deployment
plans.

Concerning your second question I think what you are encountering is a WTP bug,
I don't think its a problem with the Geronimo Eclipse Plugin. I've noticed
similar behavior when I undeploy an Enterprise application and then redeploy the
same application using the Eclipse plugin. I also have to reset the J2EE
dependencies before I redeploy the EAR. Just to be sure though that this is not
a Geronimo Eclipse Plugin problem I've opened a JIRA so that we can investigate
it more thoroughly. If you would like to provide more details please do so.

---> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-251

Finally, here is an example of the properties I set for my Windows shortcut when
I invoke Eclipse to avoid outofmemory exceptions when running the Geronimo
server under Eclipse. You can also set the vmargs in the eclipse.ini file
instead if that is easier for you (or if you don't use Windows).

C:\ECLIPSE\EUROPA\eclipse.exe -showlocation -data
"c:\eclipse\WORKSPACES\GERONIMO_TRUNK" -vmargs -Xms256m -Xmx256m
-XX:MaxPermSize=128m

Thanks and talk soon

beyondjusitn wrote:
> Hi, Tim. Thanks again. I've set the parameters to see if it will work.
>
> Could I ask you some advice on developing EJB? Just as I asked Jacek. What
> do you thing is the best combination to develop EJB? What IDE? What server?
> Some of my friends is trying out Sun Application Server. Still some problems
> occurred.
>
> BTW, do you know how to solve the problem I met when second time I opened
> Eclipse? The second time I opened the Eclipse, of course the first time I
> created the three projects in the tutorial "5 minutes tutorial", the J2EE
> dependency disappeared, the servlet could not find the package. I upload the
> two pictures.
> it's supposed to be like this:
>   http://www.nabble.com/file/p13891278/3.jpg
>
> But the second time I opened ecplise, it appeared like this:
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p13891278/2.jpg
>
> Thanks.
>

> Tim McConnell-2 wrote:
>> Hi Justin, if you're running Geronimo under Eclipse you will likely need
>> increase the your JVM memory, especially if you're running on Windows. I
>> use
>> these parameters below for my Eclipse installation:
>>
>> -vmargs -Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Tim McConnell
>>

> -----
> --
> Best Wishes!
> Justin Tsao

Tim McConnell

Posted by beyondjusitn <be...@gmail.com>.

-----
--
Best Wishes!
Justin Tsao

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin, if you're running Geronimo under Eclipse you will likely need to

beyondjusitn wrote:
> Thank you Jacek. Probably I will give up Eclipse. And turn to NetBeans
> immediately.
> Can I discuss something about EJB with you. After trying out
> Eclipse+Geronimo+EJB, I am kinda realizing that maybe this combination is
> not a perfect combination. So, what is the perfect combination to develop
> EJB projects? Could you give me come advice? Would NetBean+Geronimo+EJB the
> best choice?
> Thanks again.
>

> Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>> On Nov 21, 2007 9:57 AM, beyondjusitn <be...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> But I have another problem after following your tutorial. After the first
>>> time I created all the projects in your tutorial, if I close eclipse,
>>> then
>>> reopen eclipse, there will be an error in SampleWAR project. I find out
>>> that
>>> it is a problem of J2EE Module Dependency. So, again I right click on
>>> SampleWAR, choose' property', then 'J2EE Module Dependencies', I found
>>> that
>>> it is different from the first time I come here. If I choose SampleEJB,
>>> the
>>> error is fixed, however, I met deploy problems. I have no choice but to
>>> redo
>>> all the three projects to get them running. Why?
>> Hi,
>>
>> I dunno. I'm a typical Eclipse user so although I run across the issue
>> too I didn't pay much attention to it. Just accepted that it could
>> work this way. Honestly, I'm not really interested in fixing Eclipse
>> bugs (as there're better things to do) so while annoying I can live
>> with it (I hope that one day you'll have a choice and try out netbeans
>> with geronimo plugin - it won't happen overnight, but I'm sure it
>> will). Please rise an issue for it in geronimo-eclipse-plugin jira so
>> it won't be overlooked.
>>
>>> Another problem is that my Eclipse kept errepting, saying something like
>>> memory leaked. Is that because the Eclipse I'm using? I'm using Eclipse
>>> 3.3.1, Eclipse Data Tools Platform Enablement Version: 1.5.1.200709261
>>> and
>>> Eclipse Modeling Framework (EMF) Source Version: 2.3.1.v200709252135.
>> It appears like Eclipse misbehaviour. Perhaps it could also mean that
>> the plugin needs more attention. I'd rise an issue in
>> geronimo-eclipse-plugin jira and wait for a fix.
>>
>> Jacek
>>
>> --
>> Jacek Laskowski
>> http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl
>>

> -----
> --
> Best Wishes!
> Justin Tsao

Tim McConnell

Posted by beyondjusitn <be...@gmail.com>.

-----
--
Best Wishes!
Justin Tsao

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by beyondjusitn <be...@gmail.com>.
Hey, Jacek. This is Justin. Tim forward me to the tutorial you wrote. So I
didn't note that you put a reply in the forum. Yeah, the tutorial really
helped a lot. Thank you very much.

But I have another problem after following your tutorial. After the first
time I created all the projects in your tutorial, if I close eclipse, then
reopen eclipse, there will be an error in SampleWAR project. I find out that
it is a problem of J2EE Module Dependency. So, again I right click on
SampleWAR, choose' property', then 'J2EE Module Dependencies', I found that
it is different from the first time I come here. If I choose SampleEJB, the
error is fixed, however, I met deploy problems. I have no choice but to redo
all the three projects to get them running. Why?

Another problem is that my Eclipse kept errepting, saying something like
memory leaked. Is that because the Eclipse I'm using? I'm using Eclipse
3.3.1, Eclipse Data Tools Platform Enablement Version: 1.5.1.200709261 and
Eclipse Modeling Framework (EMF) Source Version: 2.3.1.v200709252135.

Thank you.

-----
--
Best Wishes!
Justin Tsao

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
need to work on the doc more often then ;-)

again, nice tutorial !!!

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by halfb0y <ho...@gmail.com>.

Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2007 2:13 PM, halfb0y <ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> BTW, about appplication.xml, I was able to generated it by right click on
>> SampleEar project -> Java EE -> Generate Deployment Descriptor Stub. And
>> it
>> seems working fine.
>> I think you used v2.0 to write the tutorial, so try v2.0.2 instead.
>
> Ah, I saw it, but didn't know what it was exactly for. Is it the only
> and proper way to generate application.xml in Eclipse's ear projects?
> I'll update the tutorial unless you beat me to it.
>
> Jacek
>
> --
> Jacek Laskowski
> http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

I'm not sure if it's only way, but the menu seems reasonable.
--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/5-minute-Tutorial-on-Enterprise-Application-Development-with-Eclipse-and-Geronimo-%28was-Re%3A-problems-when-deploy-ejb-in-eclipse%29-tf4800152s134.html#a13783375

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Nov 15, 2007 10:09 PM, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:

> Ah, I saw it, but didn't know what it was exactly for. Is it the only
> and proper way to generate application.xml in Eclipse's ear projects?
> I'll update the tutorial unless you beat me to it.

Done. Give it a try again and report. There's no need to create the
application.xml file when the checkbox's selected.

Jacek

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by halfb0y <ho...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the tutorial. Now I can finally try some ejb3 stuff.

--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/5-minute-Tutorial-on-Enterprise-Application-Development-with-Eclipse-and-Geronimo-%28was-Re%3A-problems-when-deploy-ejb-in-eclipse%29-tf4800152s134.html#a13767152

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
btw, nice doc ;-)

Cheers!