Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Chris Mennie <ca...@decisionsoft.com> on 2001/10/15 12:16:59 UTC

Xerces segfaulting in NodeIDMap while processing large file

        I'm having some issues with processing a large document.
Essentially I'm starting out with a large document, and adding a large
number of nodes to it where after a little bit, it segfaults.

        I've looked through the core dump, but some of the values in it
seem quite off. The segfault occurs in NodeIDMap::add on the line
"DOMString id=attr->getValue();", which doesn't make much sense. Looking
at 'attr' gives some odd results. The 'attr->value' field is set to 0x1,
and the 'attr->name' string gives a 'fHandle->fLength' of 136570632. Gdb
tells me that gLiveNodeImpls = 70975 and gTotalNodeImpls = 105482. I don't
have a sense of how much space this takes up, but perhaps it's starting to
get unreasonable?

        It feels like the stack or heap is being blown somewhere, but I
don't see how this could be since I've used ulimit to give myself
unlimited stack and data sizes. Does anyone have any suggestions as to
what might be happening?

        While looking through the code, I saw in NodeIDMap::growTable,
there's a line 'fprintf(stderr, "growing...\n");' which probably shouldn't
be there.

        Thanks for any help!