Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Bill Collins <bc...@providerlink.com> on 2002/05/09 18:41:43 UTC

Newbie - kernning problem

Hi all,
I'm having a kerning problem with text in fop. I've tried to use
"font-stretch" and "word-spacing" to kern some text to exactly match a
pre-printed form. Both give a "not implemeted yet" warning. Can anyone tell
me how to kern text using FOP 0.20.3?

Thanks,

Bill

Re: Newbie - kernning problem

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
Just a little follow up: It worked well with SVG. I used letter-spacing
to fit each digit of a number into boxes. Here's some exapmle code:

<fo:block>
  <fo:instream-foreign-object>
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" width="48mm" height="5mm"
        viewBox="0 0 480 50">
      <text x="155" y="45" font-family="Frutiger" font-size="40"
          letter-spacing="7.8%">
        <xsl:value-of select="kundennr"/>
      </text>
    </svg>
  </fo:instream-foreign-object>
</fo:block>

> Try to do that using SVG. As FOP does not implement, yet, some features
> necessary for these things you might have better luck using SVG which
> has a richer feature set (I think) for manipulating single characters.
> I'm going to do the same today. :-)
>
> > I'm having a kerning problem with text in fop. I've tried to use
> > "font-stretch" and "word-spacing" to kern some text to exactly match a
> > pre-printed form. Both give a "not implemeted yet" warning. Can anyone tell
> > me how to kern text using FOP 0.20.3?

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch

Re: Newbie - kernning problem

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.