Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by Vasya <va...@unipro.ru> on 2013/02/12 09:48:45 UTC

OM stress testing

Hello all!

Today we have started stress testing of Openmeetings to detect
reliability and collect statistics.

We plan to run stress tests weekly (on Tuesdays) and send reports to
dev@openmeetings.apache.org .

Tested server configuration is:

OS: Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS

. RAM 2 GB

. CPU Intel(R) Celeron (R) E3300 @ 2.50GHz

Tested scenario is:

. Start OM conference

. Start recording

. Start screen sharing

. Connect to conference while server is not crashed.

Today results meet our expectations, please see a report below.

Maximum number of the users in the system -- 20

Maximum number of the users in one room of the type "Conference" with
the screen sharing and recordings turned on -- 19.

All the users were logged from two Windows workstations.

Result: After 19 connections server is down.

Error message in log file is: "2013-02-12 08:02:07,844 [NioProcessor-7]
WARN o.r.s.net.rtmp.RTMPMinaIoHandler - Exception caught Java heap space"

Log file is attached.

Thanks,

Vasiliy

Re: OM stress testing

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
It could only happen for example that some other functionality throws this
error.
For example if a file is loaded (accidently) completely in the cache. That
looks like a "performance" issue then but is a bug in the implementation
then cause it will throw the same "heap space issue".

It would be good if you post the complete jvm.stdout log to see the context
of the Heap space error better.

Thanks!
Sebastian

RE: OM stress testing

Posted by Irina Arkhipets <ia...@unipro.ru>.
Thank you,

We'll do in this way next time.

Regards,
Irina

Re: OM stress testing

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback,

RE: OM stress testing

Posted by Irina Arkhipets <ia...@unipro.ru>.
And this is a 32-bit Ubuntu:

$> uname -a

Linux  2.6.32-33-generic-pae #72-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 29 22:06:29 UTC 2011
i686 GNU/Linux

Probably, all goes better on 64-but systems.

Irina.

Joseph Karwat | CEO | 415-462-0263 |  <http://www.jellvideo.com/> JellVideo
|  <http://www.jellnet.com/> www.jellnet.com | Error! Filename not
specified.

Jell Networks, Inc.

Enterprise Video Collaboration Solutions

Click Here to Register for <http://www.jellvideo.com/>  your JellVideo
Collaboration Account

Stephen Cottham
Group IT Manager (Associate)

Robert Bird Group
Level 5, 333 Ann St
Brisbane, Queensland, 4000, Australia

Phone: +6173 319 <tel:%2B6173%20319%202777>  2777 (AUS)

Phone: +44207 <tel:%2B44207%C2%A0633%202880>  633 2880 (UK)

Fax: +6173 <tel:%2B6173%20319%202799>  319 2799

Mobile:  +61400 <tel:%2B61400%20756%20963>  756 963 (AUS)

Mobile:  +447900 <tel:%2B447900%20918%20616>  918 616 (UK)

Web:  <http://www.robertbird.com/> www.robertbird.com

 <http://www.robertbird.com.au/> Error! Filename not specified.

 <https://twitter.com/#%21/dead_lock> https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock
 <http://www.webbase-design.de> http://www.webbase-design.de
 <http://www.wagner-sebastian.com> http://www.wagner-sebastian.com
 <ma...@gmail.com> seba.wagner@gmail.com

RE: OM stress testing

What script did you use to startup the server?

You should use the red5-highperf.sh and have a look at the values for Xmx
(max memory) and Xms (min memory).

Please include those runtime informations / configurations from your start
script in the stress test report.

I tried to summarize some links and documentation about performance tuning
once:
http://openmeetings.apache.org/JVMPerformanceTuning.html

Se for example the link to the JVM settings:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/vmoptions-jsp-140102.html
#PerformanceTuning

But Xmx and Xms is really the most important thing. There is also some param
regard Heap and Thread, that are quite important for performance.

I think by default the JVM will aquire 60 MB.

Sebastian

2013/2/13 Stephen Cottham <St...@robertbird.com.au>

At a guess I'd say you need more then 2 gig of RAM based on the exception
from the java heap space.

Sent from my iPad

On 12 Feb 2013, at 22:25, "Joseph Karwat" <jk...@jellnet.com> wrote:

Vasiliy:

Terrific information and test. I look forward to seeing more of your
results.  It would be helpful to understand what caused the error.  Would a
more powerful computer handle the load or is there a physical limit of 20
regardless of environment.  Let me know how I can help.

Joseph

Joseph Karwat | CEO | 415-462-0263 |  <http://www.jellvideo.com/> JellVideo
|  <http://www.jellnet.com/> www.jellnet.com | Error! Filename not
specified.

Jell Networks, Inc.

Enterprise Video Collaboration Solutions

Click Here to Register for <http://www.jellvideo.com/>  your JellVideo
Collaboration Account

Stephen Cottham
Group IT Manager (Associate)

Robert Bird Group
Level 5, 333 Ann St
Brisbane, Queensland, 4000, Australia

Phone: +6173 <tel:%2B6173%20319%202777>  319 2777 (AUS)

Re: OM stress testing

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: OM stress testing

Posted by Stephen Cottham <St...@robertbird.com.au>.
At a guess I'd say you need more then 2 gig of RAM based on the exception from the java heap space.

Sent from my iPad

On 12 Feb 2013, at 22:25, "Joseph Karwat" <jk...@jellnet.com> wrote:

> Vasiliy:
>
> Terrific information and test. I look forward to seeing more of your results.  It would be helpful to understand what caused the error.  Would a more powerful computer handle the load or is there a physical limit of 20 regardless of environment.  Let me know how I can help.
>
> Joseph
>
> Joseph Karwat | CEO | 415-462-0263 | JellVideo | www.jellnet.com |
> Jell Networks, Inc.
> Enterprise Video Collaboration Solutions
>
> Click Here to Register for your JellVideo Collaboration Account

Phone: +6173 319 2777 (AUS)
Phone: +44207 633 2880 (UK)
Fax: +6173 319 2799

Mobile:  +61400 756 963 (AUS)