Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Todd Orr <to...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/24 21:27:33 UTC

Tapestry, Spring, and Hibernate

I have a DAO layer that attempts to hide the implementation details
from its caller (per dao definition). This is managed by Spring and
objects are pulled out in my tap pages using the tapestry-spring lib.
This works well at face value. The issue is the infamous lazy-loading
of detached objects problem. Any reference to lazy-loaded objects is
throwing an exception. This is expected since the session is closed. I
know the solution is to reattach it either using hibernate's api or
tapernate. The problem with this approach is that it leaks the DAOs
implementation details into the Web layer. I do not desire this to
happen.

I've seen some  posts suggesting that Tapernate can provide some
relief and if I'm willing to hack through the code (since there's no
or hardly any docs) I might be able to get it working with Spring.
This violates my guiding principal in this project, and that is
creating decoupled components. Tapernate, by it's very name, forces
concerns to bleed into the Tap layer. I'm hoping that there is some
other way.

This problem has come up before, but not in quite the same fashion as
this. Despite the slant against Spring that many have in this
community, I'm using it to wire my application together. I feel that
Spring offers me the right amount of features, ease of use, incredible
documentation, and de facto industry support. My problem seems to span
all three frameworks, but I thought I'd probe this group first.

Thanks in advance,

Tirade:
Please do not ask "why not just use Hivemind for dependency
injection". The fact that this has been brought up before is juvenile
and indicates that the poster doesn't care about the plethora of other
frameworks that exist because his is "the best". Let's all understand
that our community produces software that is generally utilized on a
best of breed basis and some of us differ on what the best is. In
order to be good OSS citizens, we should work with other frameworks,
not deny our users the ability to work with them because we deem them
bad for whatever snobbish reason.

RE: Tapestry 3 to 4.1 to 5

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
I was merely speaking of Tapestry "out of the box."  If you do wish to
customize, then, yes you do need to do some HiveMind magic.  However, IMHO,
once you do start using HiveMind for configuration and services, you'll
become addicted (then I can start charging for my services...hehe). :-)

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.

RE: Tapestry 3 to 4.1 to 5

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
I would agree that it's a bit much more difficult to "grok", but we're
working on that what HiveMind 2.0!  Yes, you don't need to know anything
about HiveMind, necessarily, to use Tapestry.  But, if you want to
extend/enhance it (as you said), you do.

Posted by Scott Russell <sc...@hotmail.com>.

RE: Tapestry 3 to 4.1 to 5

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: Tapestry 3 to 4.1 to 5

Posted by Scott Russell <sc...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Tapestry 3 to 4.1 to 5

Posted by Mike Grundvig <mi...@electrotank.com>.
Re: Hibernate. It's used all over the place by many applications. It isn't
really associated with IOC containers or even web applications in generally
as it's simply (ha!) a database abstraction/mapping framework. Whether you
use Tapestry or not, Hibernate is excellent at what it does. With that said,
Hibernate is in no way associated with Tapestry.

Re: Tapestry Migration. Tapestry 3 isn't directly compatible with 4 as it
stands, depending on how complicated your application is and how much
underlying tweaks you have made, you might need to rewrite a little bit:
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4/#Upgrading+from+Tapestry+3.0

As for Tapestry 5, that is quite a while off. I certainly wouldn't sit
around waiting to migrate as 4 provides a great deal of useful features and
conveniences.

You mention the steep learning curve next; I simply have to disagree there.
I've only recently begun using Tapestry and I've found it dramatically
simpler to work with then most other frameworks. Particularly Struts and
ASP.NET. I feel that this is the case because Tapestry gives the web an
intuitive event-driven feel to it. It just isn't that complicated and
requires very little wire up to tie pages together. As for commercial
programmer experience that's an issue with most frameworks. Even JSF
developers are exceptionally hard to come by right now. I do agree though
that selling Tapestry to management is a bit tough these days. Hopefully
time will help with that. As with all opinions though, your mileage may
vary.

Re: Echo2, nope, sorry. Not used that one.

Michael Grundvig
Electrotank, Inc
http://www.electrotank.com

Re: Tapestry 3 to 4.1 to 5

Posted by Henri Dupre <he...@gmail.com>.
On 6/24/06, kranga <kr...@k2d2.org> wrote:

> We have a very large financial services applicaiton built with Tapestry 3
> and it meets all the requirements for the project. But in looking ahead, I
> am trying to get some data to guide technology decisions for the project.

We did migrate our website from tapestry 3 to tapestry 4. That was a complex
and long process (not everything was related to tapestry 4... some other
stuff was related to Tomcat JK, etc.).
Now management keeps asking to add new features and with all the code
cleanup that we were able to do in the move from Tapestry 3 to Tapestry 4,
changes have become way easier to manage.
The migration was completly worth it.
Hivemind is not straightforward (lets say there lacks documentation for
doing several simple tasks) but it makes the whole framework way more
flexible. These days it is not too bad, you can probably find copy/paste
stuff for most common tasks in this mailing list.
Hivemind reduces alot the amount of bad hacking in the code and allows to
customize the framework in a clean way.

Thanks,

Henri.

Re: Tapestry 3 to 4.1 to 5

Posted by kranga <kr...@k2d2.org>.
Duh! Yes, as you guys guessed, I meant Hivemind not Hibernate. I think I
need to hibernate a little more and get my mind back ...

Thanks for your input ...

Tapestry 3 to 4.1 to 5

Re: Tapestry, Spring, and Hibernate

Posted by Todd Orr <to...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mark. So far the OpenSessionInViewFilter has been working very well.

Posted by Mark <li...@mark-arnold.net>.