Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Alex Amato <aj...@google.com> on 2018/04/25 23:13:00 UTC

Which features of Dropwizard do you wish to use most with Beam metrics?

Hello,

I have been researching a design for sending metrics across the Beam FN
API. I just wanted to ask everyone in the Beam community about which
Dropwizard features that you use most and would like to see supported with
beam.

*Which of these features
<https://metrics.dropwizard.io/3.1.0/getting-started/> are most relevant?*
*Gauges, Counters, Histogram, Timers, Health Checks, Other?*

One problem which I am curious about this because Histograms/Distribution
metrics vary a bit across different metrics collection systems, and if its
possible to use a common approach for this.

Appreciate the information about this,
Thanks
Alex

Re: Which features of Dropwizard do you wish to use most with Beam metrics?

Posted by Alex Amato <aj...@google.com>.
Thank you both very much, appreciate this feedback :)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Alex

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex

When i built sirona I started this way: counters, gauges, validations
(healthcheck).

It works not bad and enables distributed aggregations but when you think
about it, it is a very limited set of what you want as a user. Quickly you
will want exceptions and audit event etc..

This all lead to event driven monitoring, including the use cases of
counters, gauges, ....

Then you aggregate them as needed but you dont make them specific.

This is a way more efficient and extensible "for real life" design than
hardcoding metrics as being numbers of very specific types.

Just my 2cts ;)