Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Dan Larsen <da...@techba.se> on 2009/10/07 19:38:13 UTC

Help! Serious crash!

Hi guys,

I have a small setup with 3 macs running os x snow leopard and the
native java 1.6.0.something.something ;-)
I am doing a lot of inserts, without any problems and I can read the
data again.

But....
At some point, around 1G Commitlog size, cassandra starts a rise in
ram usage, untill it just stops responding - if I restart the server,
with or without -b, it will just usae 100% cpu for 10-15 mins and then
stop with this message:
Another problem, is that it seems to kill other servers too, when I
try to restart :-(

Dumping heap to java_pid53353.hprof ...
Heap dump file created [1164687070 bytes in 89.912 secs]

ERROR - Fatal exception in thread Thread[RMI TCP Connection(idle),
5,RMI Runtime]
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.<init>(BufferedInputStream.java:178)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.<init>(BufferedInputStream.java:158)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0
(TCPTransport.java:679)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run
(TCPTransport.java:649)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask
(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run
(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)
ERROR - Fatal exception in thread Thread[main,5,main]
ERROR - Fatal exception in thread Thread[RMI TCP Connection(idle),
5,RMI Runtime]
	at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2427)
	at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethod(Class.java:1935)
	at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.getPrivateMethod(ObjectStreamClass.java:
1382)
	at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.access$1700(ObjectStreamClass.java:52)
	at java.io.ObjectStreamClass$2.run(ObjectStreamClass.java:438)
	at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.<init>(ObjectStreamClass.java:413)
	at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.lookup(ObjectStreamClass.java:310)
	at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1106)
	at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.defaultWriteFields
(ObjectOutputStream.java:1509)
	at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeSerialData(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1474)
	at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject
(ObjectOutputStream.java:1392)
	at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1150)
	at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:326)
	at java.util.ArrayList.writeObject(ArrayList.java:570)
(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.invokeWriteObject(ObjectStreamClass.java:
945)
	at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeSerialData(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1461)
	at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject
(ObjectOutputStream.java:1392)
	at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1150)
	at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:326)
	at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.marshalValue(UnicastRef.java:274)
	at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:315)
	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:155)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages
(TCPTransport.java:535)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0
(TCPTransport.java:790)
ERROR - Fatal exception in thread Thread[RMI TCP Connection(idle),
5,RMI Runtime]

[ABOVE REPEATS A COUPLE OF TIMES]

If I try to connect with nodeprobe, after it halts, I will just get
this:

Error connecting to remote JMX agent!
java.io.IOException: Failed to retrieve RMIServer stub:
javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException [Root exception is
java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host:
192.168.100.203; nested exception is:
	java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused]
	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector.connect(RMIConnector.java:
338)
	at javax.management.remote.JMXConnectorFactory.connect
(JMXConnectorFactory.java:248)
	at org.apache.cassandra.tools.NodeProbe.connect(NodeProbe.java:152)
	at org.apache.cassandra.tools.NodeProbe.<init>(NodeProbe.java:114)
	at org.apache.cassandra.tools.NodeProbe.main(NodeProbe.java:545)
Caused by: javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException [Root exception is
java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host:
192.168.100.203; nested exception is:
	java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused]
	at com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContext.lookup
(RegistryContext.java:101)
	at com.sun.jndi.toolkit.url.GenericURLContext.lookup
(GenericURLContext.java:185)
	at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:392)
	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector.findRMIServerJNDI
(RMIConnector.java:1886)
	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector.findRMIServer
(RMIConnector.java:1856)
	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector.connect(RMIConnector.java:
257)
	... 4 more
Caused by: java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host:
192.168.100.203; nested exception is:
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:601)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(TCPChannel.java:
198)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCPChannel.java:184)
	at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.newCall(UnicastRef.java:322)
	at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.lookup(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContext.lookup
(RegistryContext.java:97)
	... 9 more
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
	at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:432)
	at sun.rmi.transport.proxy.RMIDirectSocketFactory.createSocket
(RMIDirectSocketFactory.java:22)
	at sun.rmi.transport.proxy.RMIMasterSocketFactory.createSocket
(RMIMasterSocketFactory.java:128)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:595)
	... 14 more

I know i responds as supposed, before the crash.

Hope somebody can help! :-)

Best regards
Dan Larsen

Re: Help! Serious crash!

Posted by Dan Larsen <da...@techba.se>.
Thanks for the tip!
I'm using QUORUM - I hate losing data :-P

/Dan

Re: Help! Serious crash!

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Help! Serious crash!

Posted by Dan Larsen <da...@techba.se>.
I don't know why... But for some reason, the commitlogs grew bigger
than 128MB - so I suppose a manual compact was needed...?!?!
Anyways... I restarted with the 2GB value in cassandra.in.sh,
everything got compacted, the commitlog rotated - and I could stop,
change the settings back and start everything up, with no probles...

Thanks for your suggestions Igor! :-)

Best regards
Dan

Re: Help! Serious crash!

Posted by Dan Larsen <da...@techba.se>.
I will check that thread out! Thanks :-)

Maybe I should try to refresh the code...

I am starting to think, it might be the "native" java of snow leopard,
that is causing some of my problems...
This is what has kept me from coding Java for more than a decade...
Java is never just Java...
I know C is not just C either and C++ is not just C++... But it is so
much more true for Java...

Anyways... Not trying to start a flame, in the middle of an Apache
Incubator project... :-P
So... Thanks for you hints - I'll do some testing and post it here, if
I find out anything interesting.

Good to know, you had that much data! I'll be attempting something
similar... ;-)

Re: Help! Serious crash!

Posted by Igor Katkov <ik...@gmail.com>.

Re: Help! Serious crash!

Posted by Dan Larsen <da...@techba.se>.

Re: Help! Serious crash!

Posted by Igor Katkov <ik...@gmail.com>.

Re: Help! Serious crash!

Posted by Dan Larsen <da...@techba.se>.
O.k... I experimented a bit: changed "-Xmx1G \" to "-Xmx2G \" in bin/
cassandra.in.sh ...

Re: Help! Serious crash!

Posted by Dan Larsen <da...@techba.se>.