Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info> on 2005/03/08 11:27:10 UTC

Trying to run 1_2_X

Hi all

I'm trying to run a fresh (unchanged) checkout of the 1_2_X branch,
within Jetty.
First, there seems to be a problem with web.xml. Copying the header from
the Cocoon sources makes it go away.

The next problem is apparently related to the "QuartzScheduler" :
(...)
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.quartz.core.QuartzScheduler.<init>(Lorg/quartz/core/QuartzSchedulerResources;Lorg/quartz/core/SchedulingContext;JJ)V
         at
org.quartz.impl.DirectSchedulerFactory.createScheduler(DirectSchedulerFactory.java:320)
         at
org.quartz.impl.DirectSchedulerFactory.createScheduler(DirectSchedulerFactory.java:270)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.cron.QuartzJobScheduler.initialize(QuartzJobScheduler.java:320)
         at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:283)
         at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:277)
         at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.initialize(ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:108)
         at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.initialize(ExcaliburComponentManager.java:522)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentManager.initialize(CocoonComponentManager.java:541)
         at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:283)
         at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.initialize(Cocoon.java:280)
(...)

so Lenya doesn't start. I'm not sure how to track down this problem -
any ideas ?

Wolfgang

Re: Trying to run 1_2_X

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> J. Wolfgang Kaltz wrote:
>
>> In BRANCH_1_2_X, they are
>> xmldb-common-2003-09-02.jar and xmldb-xupdate-2003-10-14.jar
>>
>> In Cocoon, they are
>> xmldb-common-20030701.jar and xmldb-xupdate-20040205.jar
>>
>> So it looks like Lenya would like to use a newer "xmldb-common", but
>> has an older "xmldb-xupdate" - but, since all end up in the runtime
>> WEB-INF/lib, there is no telling which classes the classloader will
>> find first (alphabetical ? in this case it's the older one)
>

> michi patched one of them (i think xmldb-update).

right, whereas I currently cannot find the original of XUpdate, but I
guess I could
figure it out again what I actually patched. Anyway, I have added the
code to the jar.

> i would suggest to examine the patch and move it upstream (so that
> cocoon can also use the patch) and then use the same versions for
> cocoon and lenya

agreed

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Trying to run 1_2_X

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
J. Wolfgang Kaltz wrote:

> In BRANCH_1_2_X, they are
> xmldb-common-2003-09-02.jar and xmldb-xupdate-2003-10-14.jar
>
> In Cocoon, they are
> xmldb-common-20030701.jar and xmldb-xupdate-20040205.jar
>
> So it looks like Lenya would like to use a newer "xmldb-common", but has
> an older "xmldb-xupdate" - but, since all end up in the runtime
> WEB-INF/lib, there is no telling which classes the classloader will find
> first (alphabetical ? in this case it's the older one)

michi patched one of them (i think xmldb-update). i would suggest to

COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com
Apache Lenya                              http://lenya.apache.org

Re: Trying to run 1_2_X

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss schrieb:
> J. Wolfgang Kaltz wrote:
>
>> Regarding the QuartzScheduler
>>
>> I see there are two jars implementing it in the Lenya WEB-INF/lib:
>> quartz-1.4.2.jar and quartz-scheduler.jar
>>
>> This is almost certainly causing the problem ("NoSuchMethodError").
>> The Cocoon 2.1.6 distribution only has "quartz-1.4.2.jar"
>> So I guess "quartz-scheduler.jar" is an older version, which was
>> forgotten and should be removed ? Or is there are a reason we need it
>> (e.g. specific bugs or the like)
>

> i already removed it in the trunk. it turns out the older quartz did not
> implement some methods that our interface was expecting anyway. make
> sure to test scheduling if you remove it.

Yes, this is exactly what I've just been doing :)
I tested it in Jetty and Tomcat, and it seems to work fine. So I will go
ahead and remove it.

On the same subject, there are these 2 duplicate libraries ending up in
Lenya runtime:
   xmldb-common
   xmldb-update

In BRANCH_1_2_X, they are
xmldb-common-2003-09-02.jar and xmldb-xupdate-2003-10-14.jar

In Cocoon, they are
xmldb-common-20030701.jar and xmldb-xupdate-20040205.jar

So it looks like Lenya would like to use a newer "xmldb-common", but has
an older "xmldb-xupdate" - but, since all end up in the runtime
WEB-INF/lib, there is no telling which classes the classloader will find
first (alphabetical ? in this case it's the older one)

So should these 2 libraries be simply removed from BRANCH_1_2_X/lib ? I
built and did a few quick tests without them, without any problems.

I suppose they should also be removed from trunk/lib ?

Re: Trying to run 1_2_X

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: Trying to run 1_2_X

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info>.