Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/24 18:51:32 UTC

Re: [VOTE]: Release Velocity 1.5

+1

Re: [VOTE]: Release Velocity 1.5

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Jan 27, 2007, at 2:01 PM, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> Normally yes - you vote on the final software that's going to be
>> released, not just the concept.
>
>> At the moment, I have no clue what would actually go out the door wrt
>> the binary (included libs, LICENSE and NOTICE files, etc)
>
>> Should be easy.
>
> Hm. That *is* a strong imbalance IMHO between projects that ship docs
> as part of their distribution (like we do) and others that simply keep
> and update their docs online and ship just e.g. javadocs.

It's not just about docs - it's about the whole thing.  How else can
we say we did proper oversight for things such as the license,
copyrights, notices and included 3rd party dependencies when we can't
see it?

> In that case, I'd actually like to discuss removing all docs except
> automatically created docs from source (e.g. Javadocs, Changelog etc.)
> from the distribution archives.

Why?  Aren't our docs checked in too somewhere, or can be
mechanically re-created from checked-in sources?

> We do have to discuss the actual release process. Other projects
> (e.g. httpd) do it differently, they roll their distribution archives
> first and then vote on them. We do it the other way around.

So here's my suggestion - choose some process that in the end
produces a build that a) can be re-created by anyone based on knowing
the svn revision and b) outputs the binary packaging that we can vote
on to be our released artifacts.

geir

Re: [VOTE]: Release Velocity 1.5

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Seems fair enough.

I'm not too worried about the binary.  Though I did accidentally
compile a jar file yesterday under JDK 1.6 and install it on a
client's production server running JDK 1.5.  In the middle of the day,
crashing the app.  So I guess it never hurts for multiple eyes to
examine it.

WILL

Re: [VOTE]: Release Velocity 1.5

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: [VOTE]: Release Velocity 1.5

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.

Re: [VOTE]: Release Velocity 1.5

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE]: Release Velocity 1.5

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: [VOTE]: Release Velocity 1.5

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 1/27/07, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2007, at 10:36 AM, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>
> > On 1/27/07, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> >> Normally yes - you vote on the final software that's going to be
> >> released, not just the concept.
> >>
> > <snip/>
> >
> > Indeed. I'd also like to see velocity votes (as am catching up on ML
> > reading, noticed a couple following this pattern) point to the actual
> > artifacts being proposed for release.
>
> That would be what I was talking about, yes :)

<snip/>

Hence the "also" :-)

-Rahul

Re: [VOTE]: Release Velocity 1.5

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: [VOTE]: Release Velocity 1.5

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 1/27/07, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Normally yes - you vote on the final software that's going to be
> released, not just the concept.

<snip/>

Indeed. I'd also like to see velocity votes (as am catching up on ML
reading, noticed a couple following this pattern) point to the actual
artifacts being proposed for release.

-Rahul

> At the moment, I have no clue what would actually go out the door wrt
> the binary (included libs, LICENSE and NOTICE files, etc)
>
> Should be easy.
>
> geir

<snap/>

Re: [VOTE]: Release Velocity 1.5