Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Nag Y <an...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/14 17:55:55 UTC

Kafka - replicas do not heal themselves by default

I am going through the kafka in action and come across this following phrase

*One of the things to note with Kafka is that replicas do not heal
themselves by default. If you lose a broker on which one of your copies of
a partition existed, Kafka does not currently create a new copy. I mention
this since some users are used to filesystems like HDFS that will maintain
that replication number if a block is seen as corrupted or failed. So an
important item to look at with monitoring the health of your system might
be how many of your ISRs are indeed matching your intended number.*

It looks interesting, as in most of the distributed systems, systems will
try to create additional replicas if replicas are not available. I found it
strange,  Any reason to do so ?

Re: Kafka - replicas do not heal themselves by default

Posted by Nag Y <an...@gmail.com>.
I assume, in the case of kubernetes, Auto healing is something provided by
the kubernetes and not by Kafka.

Isn't it?

My intention of asking the question is, what is the reasoning behind it?

Version is Kafka 2.5, you can observe this with latest confluent version as
well

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.