Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Weston Pace <we...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/24 19:16:48 UTC

[VOTE] Clarify meaning of timestamp without time zone to equal the concept of "LocalDateTime"

The discussion in [1] led to the following proposal which I would like
to submit for a vote.

---
Arrow allows a timestamp column to omit the time zone property.  This
has caused confusion because some people have interpreted a timestamp
without a time zone to be an Instant while others have interpreted it
to be a LocalDateTime.

This proposal is to clarify the Arrow schema (via comments) and assert
that a timestamp without a time zone should be interpreted as
LocalDateTime.

Note: For definitions of Instant and LocalDateTime (and a discussion
on the semantics) please refer to [3]
---

For sample arguments for/against see [2].  For a summary of some of
the discussion in [1] and a detailed discussion about the different
temporal concepts see [3].  A related straw poll (and eventual vote)
will be sent regarding treatment of instants as potential Arrow types.

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Update comments in schema.fbs to assert the above
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 Do not make any change

[1]: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r8216e5de3efd2935e3907ad9bd20ce07e430952f84de69b36337e5eb%40%3Cdev.arrow.apache.org%3E
[2]: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wDAuxEDVo3YxZx20fGUGqQxi3aoss7TJ-TzOUjaoZk8/edit?usp=sharing
[3]: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QDwX4ypfNvESc2ywcT1ygaf2Y1R8SmkpifMV7gpJdBI/edit?usp=sharing

Re: [VOTE] Clarify meaning of timestamp without time zone to equal the concept of "LocalDateTime"

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Jonathan Keane <jk...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Rok Mihevc <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Eduardo Ponce <ed...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Joris Peeters <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Joris Van den Bossche <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Weston Pace <we...@gmail.com>.
This vote passes (+8 binding / +3 non-binding).  I've created
ARROW-13218 and started a PR [1] to tackle both this vote and the
other vote (regarding instants).  The PR will need to wait until the
other vote settles to be merged but I'd appreciate any comments /
refinements in the meantime.

[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/10629

Posted by Jorge Cardoso Leitão <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.
Le 24/06/2021 à 21:16, Weston Pace a écrit :
> The discussion in [1] led to the following proposal which I would like
> to submit for a vote.
>
> ---
> Arrow allows a timestamp column to omit the time zone property.  This
> has caused confusion because some people have interpreted a timestamp
> without a time zone to be an Instant while others have interpreted it
> to be a LocalDateTime.
>
> This proposal is to clarify the Arrow schema (via comments) and assert
> that a timestamp without a time zone should be interpreted as
> LocalDateTime.
>
> Note: For definitions of Instant and LocalDateTime (and a discussion
> on the semantics) please refer to [3]
> ---

+1