Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Joe Germuska <Jo...@germuska.com> on 2002/06/29 19:16:25 UTC

[newsletter] some topics

I haven't seen anyone else put forth pieces for the "jakarta
newsletter", so I thought I'd take a crack at it.  I just browsed the
list archives to refresh my memory, so chances are good I missed
something.  Also, I didn't pay very close attention to the CVS and
bugzilla posts, so I may have overlooked some important fix or
addition...

I have no great pride in the text either, so please feel free to "patch"
anything below...

* Path-based action mapping in 1.1
One of the architectural advances from Struts 1.0 to Struts 1.1 involved
supporting multiple applications with a single Struts controller
servlet.  As part of the initial implementation of this functionality,
some configuration flexibility was lost: the multi-application
controller only supports mapping URLs to Struts "actions" by extension
(i.e. "*.do") while Struts 1.0 also supported mapping by path prefix
(i.e. "/do/*").  After James Young asked if any fixes were in the works
[1], Craig McClanahan pointed out some of the complexities involved
[2].  Ted Husted described a possible solution and asked for feedback
about whether to pursue it. [3]
[1] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=struts-
dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=8226
[2] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=struts-
dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=8234
[3] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=struts-
dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=8244

* Tiles add-in to moved to core
Craig McClanahan moved the "Tiles" add-in into the core CVS source tree
from the "contrib" directory.[4] Ted Husted initiated a discussion about
some code modifications to "Tiles" to make it work more closely with the
core code base.[5]
[4] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=struts-
dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=8682
[5] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=struts-
dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=8621

* FormBean: Interface or Class?
The discussion about whether the "FormBean" concept was best implemented
as an interface or a class resurfaced, and Craig McClanahan wrote a
decisive response explaining the motivation for maintaining it as a
class.[6]  In summary, designing FormBean as an interface would
facilitate inappropriate tangling of the "model" layer with the "view"
layer, while making it a class of its own encourages clean separation of
those layers.
[6] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=struts-
dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=8253

* Struts and the Java Standard Tag Library (JSTL)
After announcing the 1.0 release of the JSTL, Shawn Bayern offered
assistance towards integrating the rich Struts tag libraries with the
JSTL, which in many cases offers equivalent functionality.[7]  Craig
McClanahan indicated that a likely goal for a post 1.1 release of Struts
would be thorough integration with the JSTL expression language, and
aiming towards an eventual replacement of the Struts "bean" and "logic"
tag libraries with the equivalent tags from JSTL.[8]
[7] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=struts-
dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=8434
[8] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=struts-
dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=8439

* New Committer: James Holmes
James Holmes, author of the popular Struts Console tool, was proposed as
a committer by Ted Husted [9] and was accepted unanimously.
[9] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=struts-
dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=8341

* Steps towards Struts 1.1b2
As much of the activity on the list in June involved "swatting" bugs in
the current 1.1b1 release, Craig McClanahan proposed steps towards a
Struts 1.1b2 by around July 8th[10]  The requirements for the next beta
are basically closing any remaining bugs and improving documentation of
new Struts features. Committers responded  promptly with +1 votes and
further contributions.
[10] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=struts-
dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=8691

Re: [newsletter] some topics

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
So, Joe, please feel free to paste

<>

* Other Struts News:
24 June 2002 - Tiles Article in DeveloperWorks
23 June 2002 - Struts Controller UML Diagrams
12 June 2002 - Struts Console version 1.12.1
12 June 2002 - Easy Struts 0.2
12 June 2002 - Artimus 0.4
11 June 2002 - Struts Builder v0.4 beta<
07 Jun 2002 - O'Reilly Chapter 7
05 Jun 2002 - Struts Console version 1.12
07 Jun 2002 - Easy Struts on SourceForge
04 Jun 2002 - FL Child Support Payments: Powered by Struts
03 Jun 2002 - strutsGuessingGame1.0

* Struts News and Status page:
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/news.html

</>

onto your original submission, and forward it over to Rob Oxspring now
<ro...@imapmail.org>, it can be classified as our "official"
submission. It's now also on our News page.

Many thanks  =:0)

-T.

Joe Germuska wrote:

> [...]
> [7] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=struts-
> dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=8434
> [8] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=struts-
> dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=8439
>
> * New Committer: James Holmes
> James Holmes, author of the popular Struts Console tool, was proposed as
> a committer by Ted Husted [9] and was accepted unanimously.
> [9] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=struts-
> dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=8341
>
> * Steps towards Struts 1.1b2
> As much of the activity on the list in June involved "swatting" bugs in
> the current 1.1b1 release, Craig McClanahan proposed steps towards a
> Struts 1.1b2 by around July 8th[10]  The requirements for the next beta
> are basically closing any remaining bugs and improving documentation of
> new Struts features. Committers responded  promptly with +1 votes and

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
-- Java Web Development with Struts
-- Tel: +1 585 737-3463
-- Web: http://husted.com/about/services

Re: [newsletter] some topics

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
+1 works for me =:0)

How about annexing:

<>

* Other Struts News:
23 June 2002 - Struts Controller UML Diagrams
12 June 2002 - Struts Console version 1.12.1
12 June 2002 - Easy Struts 0.2
12 June 2002 - Artimus 0.4
11 June 2002 - Struts Builder v0.4 beta<
07 Jun 2002 - O'Reilly Chapter 7
05 Jun 2002 - Struts Console version 1.12
07 Jun 2002 - Easy Struts on SourceForge
04 Jun 2002 - FL Child Support Payments: Powered by Struts
03 Jun 2002 - strutsGuessingGame1.0

* Struts News and Status page:
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/news_2002.html

</>

Not our problem really, but I just wish the email archive references
weren't so long as to be virtually useless in email messages =:0)

Maybe we should put this up on the news page before we send it over so
we can have a version with real hyperlinks.

I'll make the commit if we are in agreement.

-T.

Re: [newsletter] some topics

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, James Holmes wrote:

> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 10:30:41 -0700 (PDT)
> From: James Holmes <jh...@yahoo.com>
> To: Struts Developers List <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [newsletter] some topics
>
> +1, looks really good.  I think it will be hard to
> pick just a few each month since the User (and dev
> lately) list is so active.
>
> I think we should probably put some sort of blurb with
> a link to the news page so that people reading the
> general newsletter can click over to the news page to
> see more struts specific news.

+1 as well.

> -james
> james@jamesholmes.com