Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2014/01/07 17:02:04 UTC

Looking forward to 250 million users

So we reached the 85 million download mark.  Yea!  100 million will be
here soon.  Even if we never have another release we will reach 100
million sometime in the next few months.  It doesn't require much
effort.  Inertia will do it.  We have a solid application, translated
into many languages, available on all major operating systems.  We
have a popular brand name and user satisfaction as well.  100 million
will not require much effort at all.

So let's set a bigger target for ourselves.  How about 250 million, a
nice round number?   To get there will require more than just the
status quo.  It will require more than just repeating ourselves.

What kinds of things would we need to do to reach that kind of goal?

1. Additional translations, especially for large language communities
like Hindi, Malay, Telugu and Persian.

2. A leap forward in product quality and performance

3. Nailing Microsoft interoperability, across binary and XML formats

4. Working well out-of-the-box on all platforms, meaning code signing
on Windows and Mac and repository installs on Linux.

5.  Something extra, something unique.  We need to be more than just
gratis and libre.  There needs to be a reason to use OpenOffice even
if you already had Microsoft Office.

Any ideas?

-Rob

Re: Looking forward to 250 million users

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.
>5.  Something extra, something unique.  We need to be more than just
>gratis and libre.  There needs to be a reason to use OpenOffice even
>if you already had Microsoft Office.

>Any ideas?

I am not an programmer, but I am an old user who using OOo (and now AOO) a
lot.
>From that perspective, users want to see that that AOO is stable, fast
application, and user want to see good maintains (improvements, patches).
So, if you want to make success with AOO for long period, let make AOOreally
fast and stable app.
1. What about 3000 patches in LO? How many patches we applied in AOO, even
small? What about small improvements?
2. For business: AOO must have solution that user can easily create XML
flat file, and zipped (as option), without any other files in that zipped
file (from Calc and Basic), with UTF8 option. To do this now, for
non-programmers, it is nightmare.
3. Speed up AOO.
4. Base. Instead existed data base, can we have MariaDB as default, for
example? That will be so powerful!
5. Python. It would be great to fully integrate this language, to have
IDEfor that language, because, as I can see, Basic macro language has
problem
about maintains. Basic is past, Python is a future.
6. Writer. We must have solution for easy creating templates.
7. We have old site. I think that people can not see how many progress are
done for about two years. Also, marketing is a big thing in any project.
8. There is a big space for improving organisation for developers. For
example: it would be nice to see some experienced programer how lead and
organize new developers for easy tasks, small patches in one group,

Regards,
wlada

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.
> How do we triple the number of users of AOO?

Promoting AOO is job for people from marketing area. It is simple. We just
need some money for that.

Regards,
Wlada

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nancy,

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 7:10 PM, Nancy K <na...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I want to throw out an idea that might bring in new users. The open source android market and dependence on mobile technology are quickly increasing in the number of users. Why not have a mobile version Open Office suite ready for all android devices? I can't help but think of all of the PC's that are bought with MS programs already installed - and the people that are less technically inclined never change browsers or programs - especially if it will cost money to upgrade. If a device is produced with OpenOffice already in place, especially if it is optimized for mobile users - I think that would certainly introduce this software to a growing audience.
>
> I am trying to think of ways that Open Office could be more mobile, and so far:
> 1. Voice to text could be utilized
> 2. Cloud storage for easier access between devices including mobile to PC
> 3. Slick interface that is easy to read, not a tiny version of the desktop format - but designed specifically for mobile usability
>
> I started researching what android office suites are being used and came across a 2013 article by PC Magazine http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2419589,00.asp
> The 5 best android office suites they mention do not look that great - except maybe polaris office (the first example on their slide show: http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,3253,l=311949&a=311948&po=1,00.asp )
>
> I also came across AlwaysOnPC that does use OpenOffice http://www.alwaysonpc.com/aboutOpenOffice.php
>
> The more I research, I see that all of the above are in place, just not all of them easily found without research and many in more than one 3rd party product not tied together - which most people will not do unless they are looking for a specific answer to a problem. Does this seem like a productive direction? I am still thinking about ways to help Open Office grow, and this was my first thought.

The trend certainly has been PC sales declining and tablets
increasing.   If you look at what is out there now, you'll see some
bundling already.  For example, even though Android is open source,
Google's influence is very strong.  They acquired a company called
QuickOffice a couple of years ago, and they have an Android office
suite.  It comes pre-installed on some devices, like the Nexus 7.
Apple has their iWork apps.  Microsoft has their Office 365.

What isn't clear is whether QuickOffice ends up on all "Google
Experience" Android devices, or only some of them.  There may be
opportunity for other device manufacturers, like Sony, HTC, Samsung,
etc. to use OpenOffice, if they want to differentiate their products
beyond Google's design.

Now, with bundling on PCs and laptops, this does happen.  We get
requests from some smaller hardware vendors asking for permission to
bundle Apache OpenOffice with their machines.  (We're open source, so
they don't really need explicit permission from us, of course, but it
is their standard procedure to request permission).   But the tend to
be smaller, independent hardware vendors.

There is also the murky hidden world of payments that large OEM
vendors receive from software vendors to distribute their software,
even trial editions.   So in many cases the hardware vendor would lose
money if they bundled a fully-featured free office suite!

Now another avenue worth thinking about:  brick and mortar stores.  A
CD of OpenOffice, placed on an endcap in a department store or grocery
store would cost next to nothing, could be sold for an extremely low
price, say $5.00, and be almost pure profit for the store.

Another interesting idea would be companies like Redbox that have
movie rental kiosks in the US.  They could distribute  software CD's
as well.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Hagar Delest wrote:
> Making the portable version a part of the whole project would be indeed
> a good idea, easing the promotion of AOO.

The portable version by Winpenpack is linked from
http://www.openoffice.org/porting/
always up-to-date, available in many languages and mentioned on the
download page. It is not formally part of the project, but developers
have been quite responsive so far and I believe that requests for
enhancements can be proposed to them too.

Making it officially part of the project would bring some administrative
burden and would make things a little bit more complex than what they
are now. On the other hand, would this bring significant advantages to
users?

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Looking forward to 250 million users

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob