Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Lalit Sahoo <la...@sonata-software.com> on 2006/11/21 13:37:33 UTC

URL Rewriting

Hi All,

I am developing an application using Apache HttpClient 3.0.1.

I would like to know whether it supports Session tracking through URL rewriting or not?

Also does it support SSL Sessions?

Can any body help me in this regard?

Regards,
Lalit

Re: URL Rewriting

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hello Lalit,

> I am developing an application using Apache HttpClient 3.0.1.
>
> I would like to know whether it supports Session tracking through URL rewriting or not?

No it does not. Of course you can pass in URLs with a session ID,
but HttpClient does not _track_ such sessions. And I don't know
why it should either. Sessions are tracked on the server side,
because the server needs to know which requests belong to the same
session. Your application should know that without tracking.

> Also does it support SSL Sessions?

SSL sessions happen on a much lower level than HTTP sessions.
They are tracked by the JSSE you are using, not by HttpClient.

hope that helps,
  Roland

Re: URL Rewriting

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

Lalit Sahoo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am developing an application using Apache HttpClient 3.0.1.
>
> I would like to know whether it supports Session tracking through URL rewriting or not?

Lalit,

URL rewriting for session tracking was invented for clients that do not
support cookies. It basically means that a HTTP server rewrites all URLs
(links) in (HTML) documents it serves to include the session ID. As
HttpClient is content agnostic (it does not expect HTML, nor does it
parse HTML) support for those URLs is up to the component that parses
the content. The only point where HttpClient comes in contact with
rewritten URLs is the Location header in redirects. HttpClient does not
modify those URLs in any way and is thus "compatible" with URL rewriting.

> Also does it support SSL Sessions?
HttpClient does not implement SSL. SSL support is handed off to the Java
Secure Sockets Extension (JSSE). All major JSSE implementations (Sun,
IBM) support SSL sessions. Please see the documentation of the JSSE
implementation of your choice.

> Regards,
> Lalit

Kind regards

Ortwin Glück

--
[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/

Re: URL Rewriting

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Lalit Sahoo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am developing an application using Apache HttpClient 3.0.1.
>
> I would like to know whether it supports Session tracking through URL rewriting or not?
>
> Also does it support SSL Sessions?

I just noticed that Oleg already answered those questions
on the user list, and I simply wasted my time writing down
the very same answers. That's one of the reasons why the
Jakarta Mailing List Guidelines at

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html

tell you: DO NOT CROSS POST! If you've picked the wrong
list, then wait until you get an answer here.

cheers,
  Roland