Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2019/06/21 17:56:04 UTC

Representational intern experience

On 2019/06/21 13:37:01, Naomi S <n....@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> agreed. my proposal (currently being drafted) goes into detail on this>
> matter. but we don’t want to use Outreachy to inflate our demographics one>
> internship at a time>
>
> we want to gather and synthesize the knowledge we gain through running an>
> internship program w ppl from under represented groups so that we can>
> publish recommendations that projects across the foundation can use (with>
> support from us on duscuss@diversity) to make their projects more welcoming>
> and safe and inclusive, and ultimately, more attractive to contribute to>

Agreed that that is a great desire and that should that happen,
the information would be incredibly useful. One issue I have,
which I have mentioned before, is the only way to get valuable data
is to have these interns interact with "typical" ASF projects by
producing code. The more offset-from-typical their engagement and interactions
are, the less applicable they are to those projects that we hope to
provide insight and guidance towards. In other words, for this engagement
to have truly valuable insight, enough to warrant the expense (IMO),
interns 'must' be creating code for a representative Apache project.
Otherwise, that data set is tainted with unknown applicability to
the problem set we are trying to correct.

Of course, there are 2 big issues with that:

  1. We are paying for code development.
  2. The proposals I saw were using ASF projects such as Whimsy
     as the project these interns would be working with/for.

Now we are trying to justify #1 by using #2... that is, there is
a train of thought that because what we are 'really' doing is
paying for operations code, and we do that 'all the time', that
the "not paying for code development" tenet doesn't apply.

The issue is that this significantly alters the experience and
engagement enough, IMO, that any data and findings from it, will
be so different from a more typical, representative ASF project that
it will be useless or, just as likely, be ignored by ASF projects because
of its difference.

Yes, it will allow D&I to watch and learn, but what they are
watching and learning is so fundamentally different from the kinds
of typical ASF projects that it's like watching curling to learn
how to bowl.

This effort should have real, tangible benefits, for the sponsor, for
the ASF and for the intern. From what I can see, intern would get some
"exposure" about open source and Apache, but very, very, very little that
would be directly 'admissible' to typical ASF projects, and open source.
The ASF would get data that could be easily and readily dismissed, and
thus do very little to provide guidance and insights on how to correct
D&I. And the sponsor would be paying for something that, at the end of
the day, does not accomplish the real end goal.

And finally:
How does this, fundamentally, differ from the ASF simply hiring
interns from under-represented populations and having them work
on Whimsy (or whatever)? This is basically what we are doing,
just using Outreachy as a sort of main contractor to do so.

Re: Representational intern experience

Posted by Sage Sharp <sh...@otter.technology>.
It's generally asked that coordinators for the community select which
interns should be funded by the sponsors, and which interns should be
reviewed by the Outreachy organizers. If you apply the criteria I defined
in the previous mail, the community coordinators would be picking interns
to fund based on whether the applicant has a good chance at having a
successful internship. If you have many strong applicants, you can apply
for the Outreachy general fund.

When evaluating general funding requests, we sometimes have too many
requests than we have funding for. In that case, we first ask the sponsors
whether they can fund additional interns. We typically only fund one
additional intern per community. That's true even if two communities are
funded by the same sponsor.

Outreachy general funds are somewhat limited. This round, we sponsored five
interns from Outreachy general funds.

I hope that gives you some idea of how asking for additional interns would
work. Let me know if you have more questions.

Sage Sharp

Posted by Sage Sharp <sh...@otter.technology>.

Posted by Sage Sharp <sh...@otter.technology>.
Hi Myrle,

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hello Sage,

Posted by sh...@otter.technology, sh...@otter.technology.
Hi folks,

I'm Sage Sharp, an Outreachy organizer. I'm happy to answer questions people have about our program.

I'm trying to read up on several email threads, so I may not have all the information about what the ASF is proposing. From what I understand, ASF is considering being an Outreachy sponsor. It looks like the proposal is to have six interns working on various ASF member projects. [1]

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.

https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.apache.org%2Fthread.html%2Fb5af718fcb8d75a98fbd9ff378f0236050cd80ffb4d4f314d87106b3%40%253Cdev.diversity.apache.org%253E&amp;data=02%7C01%7CRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7C85ec81e4d744485a9e0608d6f67b9104%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636967407913535319&amp;sdata=eF1QUuBiyEhBHKoRW6n0cfsJh3UeDK5fUxNTqYPvH0Y%3D&amp;reserved=0

[1] https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.outreachy.org%2Fcontact%2Forganizers%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7CRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7C85ec81e4d744485a9e0608d6f67b9104%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636967407913535319&amp;sdata=sgBfBRjyM%2BFYVBmQyMIUZyV7OfwtVRmJcJRAiMaA3YI%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Representational intern experience

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b5af718fcb8d75a98fbd9ff378f0236050cd80ffb4d4f314d87106b3@%3Cdev.diversity.apache.org%3E

[1] https://www.outreachy.org/contact/organizers/

Re: Representational intern experience

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.
I agree with you, Jim, that we should do this with run-of-the-mill TLPs