Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by jean willman ward <je...@hotmail.com> on 2015/09/08 16:30:35 UTC

Spellcheck

Hi, I purchased OPENOFFICE APACHE 4 but unable to find the Spellcheck. I have tried using your forum but I cannot make head nor tail of it all??  I am an 80 plus female and all these instructions are too much for my poor old brain. Please can you advise me how to get spellcheck on my Word Pad in easy everyday English. Looking forward to your kind reply.RegardsJean

Re: Spellcheck

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 16:30:35 +0200
jean willman ward <je...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I purchased OPENOFFICE APACHE 4 but unable to find the Spellcheck. I have tried using your forum but I cannot make head nor tail of it all??  I am an 80 plus female and all these instructions are too much for my poor old brain. Please can you advise me how to get spellcheck on my Word Pad in easy everyday English. Looking forward to your kind reply.RegardsJean

Try /Tools /Spelling and grammar (don't count too much on the grammar check).

If it should happen that all words are underlined with red wiggly line then I suggest you need assistance from someone who is computer experienced.  A person from the next generation or even younger should be able to help - they need not be ultra-experienced - just able to follow instructions and know their way about a computer.  If (only if) you get all red wiggly lines, this is what needs to be done

The OpenOffice user profile must be deleted or renamed.  OpenOffice will make a new profile on next startup; this fixes most spellcheck problems.  To do this: if you are using Windows
Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder. Start OpenOffice.

If you are using some other operating system details of the user profile on these is given in
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Spellcheck