Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2014/12/15 18:09:43 UTC

ApacheCon Austin keynotes (and other stuff)

Over the coming days, I'm going to be tossing some things onto the list,
in the hopes that someone will have time to step up and take some of
these tasks, which I afraid I'm going to drop if I don't get them
written down somewhere. So, here's one of them ...

I started a conversation a while back about potential keynotes for
Austin - that thread is at http://markmail.org/message/gmerzm2c7fnzz4at

I wonder if someone might have time to dig through that thread for
names, and, perhaps contact information that might go with them.

And we're always looking for additional suggestions, always bearing in
mind that diversity is important, and, as observed at ApacheCon last
month, "dudes with beards", and "dudes without beards" doesn't count as
diversity.

We've got an etherpad going at https://pad.apache.org/p/AustinBrainstorm
with a Keynotes section down at the bottom. It's becoming a bit of a
mess, but until we have a better place to track stuff (maybe an actual
doc in svn?) that's where I've been braindumping stuff. (You'll need ASF
LDAP committer credentials to edit that etherpad.)

Thanks in advance.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: ApacheCon Austin keynotes (and other stuff)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On Dec 16, 2014, at 9:29 AM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>

> On 12/16/2014 08:41 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> At POSSCON a few years ago, Jessica McKellar of PSF keynoted as
>> was quite good. Since the PSF took some ASF bits and pieces
>> to create itself, maybe she would be a great person to contact
>> and see if she'd like to keynote.
>
> Do you have a personal connection there to make intros? And do you have a suggestion as to what, specifically, we'd ask her to talk about?

I do, as does Greg, I'm sure.

As far as topics, let me think.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Vincent Keunen <vi...@keunen.net>.
Well, now that you say so, there is that guy called "Rich Bowen". You
know, most developers ain't that rich and this guy ostensibly says he's
Rich...   This may hurt financial feelings.

Another option is to call the guy "Poor Bowen", so everyone feels ok?

Just a suggestion.

--
VK private signature Vincent Keunen
How to contact me <http://vincent.keunen.net/contact-me/>

Re: ApacheCon Austin keynotes (and other stuff)

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Austin is the home of the Texas Advanced Computing Center, which at times has the largest high performance computing cluster.

https://www.tacc.utexas.edu

I have lost touch with them a bit, but could rekindle a connection. They have tons of cool stuff to show and use open source a lot.

An idea that comes to mind is:

https://www.tacc.utexas.edu/about/directory/kelly-gaither

She is quite good, and would have lots of cool stuff to show. Though I don't know how open source what she does is.

-sebastien

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
How about Jono Bacon. He's got the open source creds but his new gig at XPrize is a fascinating demonstration that what we do here in open source is akin to the processes needed to create huge innovation leaps. If we were to pair that with some bigwig at a research org then we can do the full story from invention through innovation to production (I'm assuming production is a given with the ASF).

I can fish around for a research bigwig if you want, but we have plenty of people around here more directly connected to that world too.

Ross

Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation

From: Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>