Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Alexey Orlov <al...@microsoft.com> on 2014/06/02 14:25:02 UTC

RE: Contributing to C# implementation

Doug, thank you, I will make the final check with my legal people and open the case.

Now about dependency on Windows. The main purpose of the library was to enable people with .NET applications to effectively use Avro. Thus it was natural that we were relying on Microsoft implementation of .NET Framework while creating the library. However we did NOT utilize anything "exotic", that would prevent the library to be compiled vs, e.g., Mono. Note though we never tested such cases (see the main motivation of creating the library).

If anybody from the community would like to try this out, the complete code is available (see my initial post).

Thank you,
Alexey

Posted by Alexey Orlov <al...@microsoft.com>.
Hello to all. I'm afraid I need to ask for help again. As suggested I have created a JIRA issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1625 about contributing C# library created by Microsoft to the project. The issue is almost 4 weeks old now and seems to be completely "dead". (I understand there was a holiday season, but it's supposed to be well over now).

What is supposed to happen? Should I take it, that no comments in the issue means there is no interest? Or should I make any particular steps. (Like I said before I'm very new to Apache procedures, so I may be missing some elementary and obvious thing)

So, what I should do to revive the discussion and push it forward. And more general where could I read about the case like mine, i.e. when someone would like to contribute a whole new implementation rather than contributing to existing code?

Thank you a lot,
Alexey

Posted by Alexey Orlov <al...@microsoft.com>.
Thank you!
The issue is created.
Alexey

I would simply make it a "New Feature" as it is a completely new language and leave the priority to the default value.

Niels Basjes

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Alexey Orlov <al...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hello again to everybody.
>
> To save reading the entire thread here is a quick summary:
>
> I'm a Microsoft employee. Inside Microsoft we have created a C#
> implementation of Avro which we believe could be a valuable
> contribution to the project. The library is currently available at
> https://hadoopsdk.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Avro%20Library
>
> Doug below suggested opening an issue in Jira to start the discussion
> on this. Now I need to confess that I'm quite new to the ASF Jira
> setup, so I would like to open it in the right way.
>
> Thus two questions:
>
> 1) Issue type for such discussion? (Improvement/New feature/Wish)
> 2) Suggested priority?
>
> And Merry Christmas to all!
>
> Thank you,
> Alexey

Niels Basjes

Re: Contributing to C# implementation

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Hi,

I would simply make it a "New Feature" as it is a completely new language
and leave the priority to the default value.

Niels Basjes

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Alexey Orlov <al...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hello again to everybody.
>
> To save reading the entire thread here is a quick summary:
>
> I'm a Microsoft employee. Inside Microsoft we have created a C#
> implementation of Avro which we believe could be a valuable contribution to
> the project. The library is currently available at
> https://hadoopsdk.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Avro%20Library
>
> Doug below suggested opening an issue in Jira to start the discussion on
> this. Now I need to confess that I'm quite new to the ASF Jira setup, so I
> would like to open it in the right way.
>
> Thus two questions:
>
> 1) Issue type for such discussion? (Improvement/New feature/Wish)
> 2) Suggested priority?
>
> And Merry Christmas to all!
>
> Thank you,
> Alexey

Niels Basjes

RE: Contributing to C# implementation

Posted by Alexey Orlov <al...@microsoft.com>.
Hello again to everybody.

To save reading the entire thread here is a quick summary:

I'm a Microsoft employee. Inside Microsoft we have created a C# implementation of Avro which we believe could be a valuable contribution to the project. The library is currently available at https://hadoopsdk.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Avro%20Library