Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by gamby <ga...@libero.it> on 2009/11/17 15:34:46 UTC

Why Tomcat on startup should navigate to some jsp?

Hi all,

In my web app I've noticed that on Tomcat startup, "someone" tries to
navigate to some unidentified jsp and not finding that, tries to navigate to
404 error page.

And so, there is a page forwarding during Tomcat startup that I'm not able
to understand, even if enable all tomcat logs.

The only thing that I can see is that it's being called the 404 page during
startup.

My problem related to this issue is that, I have defined my own 404 page,
and it contains some beans that during Tomcat startup are yet null,
generating a lot of exceptions during startup...

I know that this description is quite confusing but is all I can state, hope
someone can give me some hints.

best regards
Raffaele

Re: Why Tomcat on startup should navigate to some jsp?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
gamby wrote:
> Unfortunately the stacktrace is not useful for you because exceptions are
> thrown because of some bean missing, but it is absolutely normal in my
> opinion, no one filter has yet started during this phase of startup.
>
> Tomcat tries to load the 404, but I have redefined it, including in it a
> header and footer jsp using Struts tiles, and in header there is a bean not
> yet loaded on startup, and this is the cause of exception.
>
> What I would you like to know is why Tomcat should navigate toward some page
> on startup, launching the 404 even if there wasn't yet a real user
> navigation.
>
> I'm using also dwr, I don't know if it could be one of the causes.

That is what the stack trace will hopefully show.

Mark

Re: Why Tomcat on startup should navigate to some jsp?

Posted by gamby <ga...@libero.it>.
Unfortunately the stacktrace is not useful for you because exceptions are
thrown because of some bean missing, but it is absolutely normal in my
opinion, no one filter has yet started during this phase of startup.

Tomcat tries to load the 404, but I have redefined it, including in it a
header and footer jsp using Struts tiles, and in header there is a bean not
yet loaded on startup, and this is the cause of exception.

What I would you like to know is why Tomcat should navigate toward some page
on startup, launching the 404 even if there wasn't yet a real user
navigation.

I'm using also dwr, I don't know if it could be one of the causes.
Thanks

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.