Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Sergio <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/08 07:10:01 UTC

Rule to delete emails with empty subject.

Hi all,
I tried this rule to stop emails with an empty subject, but it didn't work:

header   SUBJECT_EMPTY     SUBJECT =~ /^$/i
describe SUBJECT_EMPTY     EMPTY SUBJECT
score    SUBJECT_EMPTY     11

Any hint on what is wrong?

Best Regards to all,

Sergio

Re: Rule to delete emails with empty subject.

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 00:10:01 -0600
Sergio wrote:

> Hi all,
> I tried this rule to stop emails with an empty subject, but it didn't
> work:
>
> header   SUBJECT_EMPTY     SUBJECT =~ /^$/i
> describe SUBJECT_EMPTY     EMPTY SUBJECT
> score    SUBJECT_EMPTY     11
>
> Any hint on what is wrong?

I pasted this into my local.cf and it worked for me.

Re: Rule to delete emails with empty subject.

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
Please keep mailing-list threads on-list. Do not reply personally.

On Sat, 2013-11-09 at 09:02 -0600, Sergio wrote:
> Thank you for your kind answers.
>
> Well, I am using cpanel with MailScanner and added this rule to my MCP
> set of rules, that are the same as SpamAssassin, the score is because
> the way I configured MS and the rule is not working, I have sent a few
> emails with an empty subject and all the emails comes in.

SA does not block, delete or reject mail. SA classifies mail, assigning
it a score reflecting the spam level. Any action whatsoever taken based
on that score is outside the scope of SA, and done by third-party tools
in your mail processing chain -- MailScanner in your case, I believe.

Thus, mail "coming in" is not an indicator of working or not, even less
so for a single rule. In particular, mail sent by yourself via your own
server is prone to get scored low -- countering the rule's score you are
testing.

The indicator whether a rule works or not is in the X-Spam headers added
by SA. Most notably the X-Spam-Status header listing all rules hit.
Since you're using MailScanner, the headers might be different. Not a MS
user here.

That's the kind of info we need.

In addition, a raw test message might help, too, uploaded to a pastebin.

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.