Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com> on 2006/11/06 06:46:23 UTC

macro issues

Henning,

I noticed you closed all the Macro-related JIRA issues.  I see this as
a usability barrier and something we should definitely address in a
future version.  In particular, the need to be able to #parse a file
that includes macros is important.

I'd like to reopen the issues.  They serve as a reminder to address
these issues for 1.6.
But I don't want to get into a open/close/open/close fight.  Any
comments before I do this?

(see http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/geir/archives/001414_somtimes_process_is_good_somtimes_not.html
)

WILL

--
Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: macro issues

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
sounds reasonable.  As long as we're okay with reopening issues.

WILL

Re: macro issues

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: macro issues

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Nope, the idea is that the developer resolves the issue and the release
manager, once a release is done, closes it.

AFAIK, JIRA can build nice change logs out of resolved issues for a
release.

	Best regards
		Henning

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 11:41 -0800, Will Glass-Husain wrote:
> We have a separate Resolved vs Closed category?  Just checked - you're right.
>
> Seems unnecessarily onerous to me.  Once the issue is done, it's done.
>  Should be the same thing.
>
> WILL
>
> On 11/6/06, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> > "Nathan Bubna" <nb...@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > >+1 if and only if...

> > >this is the canonical process.  close if you don't like it.  if no
> > >committer re-opens, then that means no interest.   this is more
> > >workable than seeking acks on a motion to close an issue.
> >
> > To be nit-picking: We are resolving the issue. Not closing it. :-)
> >
> > So they all will be touched one more time by closing resolved issues.
> >
> >         Best regards
> >                 Henning

> > --
> > Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,
> > 91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540 | Apache person
> > Open Source Consulting, Development, Design | Velocity - Turbine guy
> >
> >           "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."

      RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development
   Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Engineering

 public relations for Nature cannot be fooled" - Richard P. Feynman

Re: macro issues

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.

Re: macro issues

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: macro issues

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 11/6/06, Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com> wrote:
> Great, will do.
>
> A little more detail on when I think we should mark WONTFIX (lets
> discuss).  I think it's nice to have enhancement requests/future
> thoughts in JIRA.  The "wont fix" is rather offputting.

agreed.  but it is better than silently ignoring such things.  i think
it's more polite if a committer responds with a strong negative than
if no one responds.

> There's a continuum for responses to enhancement requests..
> -- committers really enthusiastic about idea; will certainly go in
> -- idea fits with philosophical direction of tool, might go in but not right now
> -- idea is from left field, will likely not go in
>
> I'd suggest we always leave the first two bullets as open issues.
> Helps capture usage details, example cases, mailing list threads.

+1

> The third is a matter of judgement.  Doesn't hurt to occasionally
> leave a creative idea open, but more often we should provide feedback
> and (if appropriate) ask the poster to move sample code to the wiki.

+1  pushing the wiki is very good

Re: macro issues

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Great, will do.