Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Margrit Lottmann <ma...@ovgu.de> on 2011/03/08 16:45:38 UTC

prpblem with headers

Already sometimes we've had problems with
     false positives

Mails get spam scores > 5 ...internal mails with normal content...

The spam report says

	pts rule name              description
	---- ----------------------
	-0.0 NO_RELAYS              Informational: message was not relayed via SMTP
	1.0 MISSING_HEADERS        Missing To: header
	0.8 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 40 to 60%
	[score: 0.5000]
	0.5 MISSING_MID            Missing Message-Id: header
	1.8 MISSING_SUBJECT        Missing Subject: header
	-0.0 NO_RECEIVED            Informational: message has no Received headers
	1.4 MISSING_DATE           Missing Date: header
	0.0 NO_HEADERS_MESSAGE     Message appears to be missing most RFC-822
headers

but the headers are present...

1 admin said to me ... that eventually there is a blanc line bevor
headers...that means   end of headers ???

???
--

MfG Margrit Lottmann

Otto-von-Guericke-Universitaet Magdeburg
Abt. Kommunikation und Netze

Tel.: 0391 67 58572  Fax:  0391 67 11134

Re: prpblem with headers

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.
Margrit Lottmann wrote:
> -0.0 NO_RELAYS Informational: message was not relayed via SMTP
> 1.0 MISSING_HEADERS Missing To: header
> 0.8 BAYES_50 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 40 to 60%
> [score: 0.5000]
> 0.5 MISSING_MID Missing Message-Id: header
> 1.8 MISSING_SUBJECT Missing Subject: header
> -0.0 NO_RECEIVED Informational: message has no Received headers
> 1.4 MISSING_DATE Missing Date: header
> 0.0 NO_HEADERS_MESSAGE Message appears to be missing most RFC-822 headers
>
> but the headers are present...
>
> 1 admin said to me ... that eventually there is a blanc line bevor
> headers...that means end of headers ???

RFC822 email messages consist of a group of headers separated from the
message body by one or more blank lines.

If a blank line somehow ends up in between some of the headers, any
headers after that line will be treated as part of the body.  If a blank
line gets added at the very beginning, before all of the headers, all of
them will be treated as part of the message body.

You'll have to check into how these messages are being passed into the
mail system, and watch what happens at all of the processing stages in
order to find out where that leading blank line is getting added.  If
you don't see similar issues with general incoming Internet email,
compare the path a message takes for Internet email vs local mail.

Based on NO_HEADERS_MESSAGE and NO_RECEIVED, it's most likely being
added by whatever glue layer is calling SpamAssassin, because otherwise
you'd at least have a Received: header, and likely a Message-ID: and
possibly Date: added by the last MTA in the chain...  but without
knowing more about how mail moves through your system, and how SA is
called, that's just a guess.

John Hardin's comment about not passing internal mail to SA at all is
also a good place to work around this.

-kgd

Re: prpblem with headers

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Michael Scheidell wrote:

> On 3/8/11 10:45 AM, Margrit Lottmann wrote:
>>  Already sometimes we've had problems with
>>      false positives
>>
>>  Mails get spam scores > 5 ...internal mails with normal content...
> you need to correctly set internal and trusted networks.
>
> if that is correct, you need to fix your MTA.
>
> use wirewhark to watch what is actually being sent to SA.. they fix your MTA

You may also want to figure out how to tell your MTA to not pass
purely-internal emails to SA at all.

If you'll provide some details abound what your MTA is, how SA is glued
on, and wht your internal network topology looks like (broadly) we may be
able to offer some advice.

   Failure to plan ahead on someone else's part does not constitute
   an emergency on my part.                 -- David W. Barts in a.s.r
  5 days until Daylight Saving Time begins in U.S. - Spring Forward

Re: prpblem with headers

Posted by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com>.
On 3/8/11 10:45 AM, Margrit Lottmann wrote:
> Already sometimes we've had problems with
>     false positives
>
> Mails get spam scores > 5 ...internal mails with normal content...
you need to correctly set internal and trusted networks.

if that is correct, you need to fix your MTA.

use wirewhark to watch what is actually being sent to SA.. they fix your MTA

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
 >*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008