Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mead, Jen L" <Me...@con-way.com> on 2012/09/19 23:31:37 UTC

very basic question about apache and tomcat

Hi Everybody,

Now I will show my real ignorance about what I know after NOT working with Apache or Tomcat for several years now.  I have been working on a project that allows our CGI web pages to authenticate users from their windows desktop against Windows AD and not requiring any kind of unix account.  I am slowly getting the information I need to move forward but information is just not out there to get.  I am just chipping away at it.

My basic question is: do I need to install apache as well as tomcat to have an httpd.conf file?  I have tomcat running on several AIX servers, 6.1 and 5.3, with tomcat 7.0.27 installed.  I was doing a simple search to find the httpd.conf file when I realized none of my servers have it installed.  When I try to find out which app creates it I get the answer apache (from google searches).  So I guess that tomcat is a subset of apache?  A virtual java app I suppose?  See I told you the questions were basic.  Yikes it is hard to understand as a newbie, especially when I can load tomcat and get web pages working in a few minutes.  LOL

Any help is appreciated in regard to helping me wrap my brain around this.  ARGH

Regards,
Jen

Jen L Mead | Sys Admin | ICC Operations | Con-way | Office 503-450-8641
SAFETY| LEADERSHIP | INTEGRITY | COMMITMENT | EXCELLENCE | Driven by Integrity

Re: very basic question about apache and tomcat

Posted by Thomas Rohde <tr...@ordix.de>.
Am 19.09.2012 23:31, schrieb Mead, Jen L:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> Now I will show my real ignorance about what I know after NOT working with Apache or Tomcat for several years now.  I have been working on a project that allows our CGI web pages to authenticate users from their windows desktop against Windows AD and not requiring any kind of unix account.  I am slowly getting the information I need to move forward but information is just not out there to get.  I am just chipping away at it.
>
> My basic question is: do I need to install apache as well as tomcat to have an httpd.conf file?  I have tomcat running on several AIX servers, 6.1 and 5.3, with tomcat 7.0.27 installed.  I was doing a simple search to find the httpd.conf file when I realized none of my servers have it installed.  When I try to find out which app creates it I get the answer apache (from google searches).  So I guess that tomcat is a subset of apache?  A virtual java app I suppose?  See I told you the questions were basic.  Yikes it is hard to understand as a newbie, especially when I can load tomcat and get web pages working in a few minutes.  LOL
>
> Any help is appreciated in regard to helping me wrap my brain around this.  ARGH
>
> Regards,
> Jen
>
> Jen L Mead | Sys Admin | ICC Operations | Con-way | Office 503-450-8641
> SAFETY| LEADERSHIP | INTEGRITY | COMMITMENT | EXCELLENCE | Driven by Integrity

Hi Jen,

basic answer:

Apache HTTPD and Apache Tomcat have generally nothing in common. They
are totally different.

The httpd.conf is the main configuration file for the Apache HTTPD
Webserver. It comes with the installation of an Apache HTTPD Webserver
and is located in <apache_home>/conf/httpd.conf. Tomcat neither
generates nor reads this file.

Bye
Thomas

Re: Re: very basic question about apache and tomcat

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
On 9/20/2012 4:24 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/19/2012 6:38 PM, Jeff wrote:
>>> I have a related question since we recently implemented
>> authentication to
>>> AD via LDAP in our Tomcat WebApp but it currently prompts the user
>> for
>>> every new session, even if they are hitting the site from their
>> windows
>>> workstation that is already authenticated to the domain.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to do it that detects the user's current AD session
>> and
>>> eliminates the need to prompt them, preferably browser (Chrome/FF/IE)
>>> independent?  If so, it would be great!
>> You might try Waffle.
> Waffle is a Windows native solution. The OP wants Tomcat running on AIX. Waffle is not going to work. If moving Tomcat to Windows was an option, then Waffle would be a possibility (and that is made clear in Tomcat's docs - as are a number of other options).
>
> Mark

Hi, Mark-

You're right.  I should have prefaced that with "If you're running on
Windows".  However, a second person (see above) asked basically the same
question as the OP and I'm not sure what platform they're on.  The
built-in Java implementation sounds great if Tomcat 7 is being used.

-Terence Bandoian

Re: very basic question about apache and tomcat

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: very basic question about apache and tomcat

Posted by Jeff <pr...@gmail.com>.
I have a related question since we recently implemented authentication to
AD via LDAP in our Tomcat WebApp but it currently prompts the user for
every new session, even if they are hitting the site from their windows
workstation that is already authenticated to the domain.

Is there a way to do it that detects the user's current AD session and
eliminates the need to prompt them, preferably browser (Chrome/FF/IE)
independent?  If so, it would be great!

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

Jeff Vincent
predatorvi@gmail.com
See my LinkedIn profile at:
I ♥ DropBox <http://db.tt/9O6LfBX> !!

Re: very basic question about apache and tomcat

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Mead, Jen L wrote:
> Yes, I did not find that useful.  It is very vague to say the least.  If I am missing something please let me know.  I want to use Built-in Tomcat support.

Simplify your life and have a look at Jespa (www.ioplex.com).  It is free for testing, and
not expensive for production.  Download the Operator's Guide and read it.

It works all in Tomcat and doesn't require any other pieces than itself (*) - and a
Windows domain environment of course.

There are several other ways, but I am not familiar with them.

Any type of web-based "Windows Integrated Authentication" (to give it one of it's many
names) requires that the browser supports it. I can confirm that it works with IE and with
Firefox.  I do not know about the others.

(*) Sorry, ooops, it does require a jar from Samba (jcifs.jar). The Operator Manual tells
you that, and where to get it from.

Re: question about krb5.conf file

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi.

Mead, Jen L wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get my AIX box configured to use Windows Authentication from the tomcat server (web browser).   I have been relying on the example that is at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-auth-howto.html#Tomcat_instance.  Here is my question.  The example is using all windows and not unix, so I am not 100% sure on my syntax AND I have two domains I am working with.  One for the tomcat server and one for the windows domain controller.  The example shows them all on the same domain and I have tried a few different configurations and they haven't worked.  So I am hoping to get an answer here.

I am not sure, but I believe, that the SPNEGO authentication which is included in Tomcat
right now presupposes that the Tomcat host itself is a Windows machine, and member of the
Windows domain in which you want the authentication to take place (or probably at least a
trusted domain).

If that were the case, then you may be better off having a look at the other alternatives
indicated in that documentation page, or at Jespa (www.ioplex.com) which is a commercial
(but affordable) solution which works with whatever OS Tomcat is running under.

I can't figure out from the Waffle website if Waffle works on other than on Windows Tomcat
hosts either.

Re: question about krb5.conf file

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 18/10/2012 21:15, Mead, Jen L wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get my AIX box configured to use Windows Authentication from the tomcat server (web browser).   I have been relying on the example that is at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-auth-howto.html#Tomcat_instance.  Here is my question.  The example is using all windows and not unix, so I am not 100% sure on my syntax AND I have two domains I am working with.  One for the tomcat server and one for the windows domain controller.  The example shows them all on the same domain and I have tried a few different configurations and they haven't worked.  So I am hoping to get an answer here.

New topic; new thread please.  Don't just edit your previous one.

> This is my info:
>
> AIX 6100-04-11-1140
> apache-tomcat-7.0.27
> tomcat server domain: CON-WAY.COM
> windows AD domain: CONWAY.PROD.CON-WAY.COM
>
> Here is what I currently have in the krb5.conf file (it has changed many times LOL):
> [libdefaults]
> default_realm = CONWAY.PROD.CON-WAY.COM
> default_keytab_name = FILE:/opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.27/conf/tomcat.keytab
> default_tkt_enctypes = des-cbc-md5 des-cbc-crc
> default_tgs_enctypes = des-cbc-md5 des-cbc-crc
> forwardable=true
>
> [realms]
> CONWAY.PROD.CON-WAY.COM = {
>         kdc = ciits003.conway.prod.con-way.com:88
> }
>
> [domain_realm]
> con-way.com = CONWAY.PROD.CON-WAY.COM
> .con-way.com = CONWAY.PROD.CON-WAY.COM
>
> [logging]
> kdc = FILE:/var/krb5/log/krb5kdc.log
> admin_server = FILE:/var/krb5/log/kadmin.log
> default = FILE:/var/krb5/log/krb5lib.log
>
> Anyone see any blaring errors?  I am not sure I need to put the word FILE in front of all file locations, but it was in the Windows example....
> Jen

[key:62590808]

question about krb5.conf file

Posted by "Mead, Jen L" <Me...@con-way.com>.
Hey I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and input.  I just got my keytab file from the windows administrators yesterday and am ready to fiddle with tomcat and Kerberos on the unix side to start testing.  I like what Mark wrote below about using VMs to set things up, learn the environment and then tweak for AIX.  However, I don't have that option, I have one AIX box and that is it to test with.  I got a lot of great suggestions and think I can wrap my mind around it, yesterday I compiled a full version of Kerberos on my AIX server so I could test out kinit and make sure communication is flowing before I start setting up the tomcat server.  I think that most people are going to be coming in on Windows Explorer so I will set that up as well as Firefox.  I feel 50/50 about getting it running but certainly more ready than I was before I got responses from this group.  Thanks again,
Jen

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Mead, Jen L" <Me...@con-way.com>.
Thanks.  I am in the process of testing.  The earlier answer from Chris suggested that I might need some additional modules / libraries.  I am following it step by step and I do see the unix part.

I have sent my windows domain people a request to create a Kerberos key and an account I can test with.  However, they provided one on a box I did not have root on and it was way too frustrating trying to get unix admin in India to understand what to do.  I now have a sandbox environment with root and am trying different things, it has not worked so far.

Have you tried using this documentation?  If not then please don't comment on how easy it is and straight forward.  I am doing my best and have been in computing, unix in particular, for over 30yrs.

Regards,
Jen

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Mead, Jen L" <Me...@con-way.com>.

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
I've never tried with Tomcat, but it's not hard to get other Unix
applications to authenticate against the Kerberos component of ADS.  I
logon to Linux every day with ADS credentials, using Kerberos.

o  Browsers will need to be set up to use GSSAPI authentication with
   the affected site.  There's a plugin for Firefox that helps to
   manage the way it does this, where it's called Integrated
   Authentication for some reason.  I don't know how to manage that in
   IE since there isn't an IE for Linux. :-/

o  The server will need to offer GSSAPI authentication and know how to
   validate tickets.  A lot of that is standard JRE equipment.
   http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-auth-howto.html
   looks like good information on gluing it into Tomcat.

If I were doing this, I'd first stop thinking of it as Windows or ADS
authentication and think in terms of GSSAPI/Kerberos.

Searching for "firefox kerberos authentication" showed me a lot of
hits that might help you on the client side.

Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.

Re: very basic question about apache and tomcat

Posted by Brett Delle Grazie <br...@gmail.com>.
On 20 September 2012 17:20, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> "Mead, Jen L" <Me...@con-way.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi Chris,
>>
>>I met you at a PERL conference years and years ago along with a bunch
>>of other people you met.  Anyways.  Exactly what I am trying to do is
>>allow folks to use their web browser (I would like to stick with tomcat
>>7.0.27 on aix 6.1) from their windows workstation and authenticate
>>against the windows domain.  I am hoping this can be accomplished
>>without creating unix accounts.  The permissions for it, page access or
>>run the tool would reside in the tomcat configuration side, but all
>>authentification would be from the windows side.  If you can tell me
>>how to do that I would be pretty happy.  I cannot find documentation on
>>how to do it
>
> Did you find this?
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-auth-howto.html
>
> I haven't tested this when Tomcat is on a non-Windows platform. It is
> certainly possible for this to work although whether any other pieces
> (such as samba) are required and what their configuration might be I
> don't know. OTOH, it might just work.

Samba is one way, in that context the AIX box becomes a member of the
Windows AD.
If that isn't possible:
Another alternative is bi or uni-directional cross-realm trusts.
That's where there is a Unix Kerberos realm and the Windows AD realm
and there is a trust
either between each realm or in one direction only. Cross-realm keys
are quite easy to create
in the more recent versions of Windows Server (2008+)

In this situation, the authentication trust could be configured only
one way (i.e. Windows AD users
are trusted for authentication purposes to the AIX Tomcat service).

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details since I last looked at this several
years ago. From what I remember
the following is needed:
(a) cross-realm keys in one or both directions (i.e. resulting in one
or two sets of keys)
- getting this right on the Windows side was quite difficult due to
different encryption standards
in use, different 'versions' of keys etc. modern versions of Windows
Server do make this easier.
(b) a key on the AIX box representing the service (Tomcat) but in this
case the service key is for
the local Unix Kerberos realm, not the Windows AD realm
(c) A browser that permits Kerberos based authentication (e.g.
Firefox, or IE with the site
added to the trusted sites area).
(d) Patience, luck and lots of log perusal.

I've used this in a managed service environment but its complicated
and error prone to configure.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Mead, Jen L" <Me...@con-way.com>.
Hi Chris,

See responses below:

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: very basic question about apache and tomcat

Posted by "Mead, Jen L" <Me...@con-way.com>.
Hi Chris,

I met you at a PERL conference years and years ago along with a bunch of other people you met.  Anyways.  Exactly what I am trying to do is allow folks to use their web browser (I would like to stick with tomcat 7.0.27 on aix 6.1) from their windows workstation and authenticate against the windows domain.  I am hoping this can be accomplished without creating unix accounts.  The permissions for it, page access or run the tool would reside in the tomcat configuration side, but all authentification would be from the windows side.  If you can tell me how to do that I would be pretty happy.  I cannot find documentation on how to do it and I am not a java person nor have I touched this stuff in a very long time.  I was doing strictly unix admin work until a few months ago.  That doesn't mean I won't hack and experiment, I have a sandbox here at work that I can do anything on to get this configuration figured out.  Thanks in advance and happy to be working with you!

Jen

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: very basic question about apache and tomcat

Posted by "Mead, Jen L" <Me...@con-way.com>.
That was very insightful.  All the documentation that I am looking into specifies apache as the application.  Maybe, just maybe the server.xml file will contain what I need to move forward.  The lack of documentation for what I am trying to do is frustrating.  I am not even sure I can do it without loading apache with or instead of tomcat.  Thanks for the info.

> My basic question is: do I need to install apache as well as tomcat to
> have an httpd.conf file?  I have tomcat running on several AIX
> servers, 6.1 and 5.3, with tomcat 7.0.27 installed.  I was doing a
> simple search to find the httpd.conf file when I realized none of my
> servers have it installed.  When I try to find out which app creates
> it I get the answer apache (from google searches).  So I guess that
> tomcat is a subset of apache?  A virtual java app I suppose?  See I
> told you the questions were basic.  Yikes it is hard to understand as
> a newbie, especially when I can load tomcat and get web pages working
> in a few minutes.  LOL

Tomcat and HTTPD (Apache web server) are two different things, though often used together.  Both are projects of the Apache Software Foundation.

Tomcat is capable of running standalone.  It is not a subset of of the Apache HTTPD.  For various reasons many folks run Tomcat "behind" Apache HTTPD, but that isn't necessary.

There's overlap between the functionality of Tomcat and HTTPD. Whether you need just Tomcat, just HTTPD, or both, depends on what you want to do.

httpd.conf is the typical name of the primary HTTPD configuration file (although that may be different depending on who built the distribution you're using and on what kind of OS).

Tomcat uses server.xml as it's primary configuration file.

David

Re: very basic question about apache and tomcat

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: very basic question about apache and tomcat

Posted by "David A. Rush" <da...@rushtone.com>.