Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marcia Perry <mp...@lbl.gov> on 2000/10/11 20:27:26 UTC

Can't unsubscribe

Please help me and a bunch of others who cannot unsubscribe from
this mailing list.  I have tried everything.  I keep getting the
following, follow the directions, and can't get off this list.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
To all who are trying to unsubscribe but cannot,

The error message in Marcia's response tells you WHY it didn't work -- and (with a little further
reading) HOW to unsubscribe correctly in this scenario.

> tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org mailing list.
>
> Acknowledgment: The address
>
>    mperry@portnoy.lbl.gov
>
> was not on the tomcat-user mailing list when I received
> your request and is not a subscriber of this list.

This happens quite often when you, or the mail adminstrator on your mail server, has changed the
"From" or "Reply-To" address that is generated on your outgoing mail after you have subscribed to
the list.  In Marcia's case, the original subscription was to "mperry@lbl.gov" -- as you can
discover if you examine the return message headers as described in the response.

So, the question becomes, "how can I unsubscribe when my address has changed, and I cannot change it
back?"

The answer is further down in the reply message:

> If you unsubscribe, but continue to receive mail, you're subscribed
> under a different address than you currently use. Please look at the
> header for:

> The unsubscribe address for this user would be:
> Just mail to that address, suvalues, reply to the confirmation request, and you should receive a
> message
> that you're off the list.
>
> For some mail programs, you need to make the headers visible to
> see the return path:

So, the correct way for Marcia to unsubscribe would be to send mail to:

    tomcat-user-unsubscribe-mperry=lbl.gov

I have done it for her because I was already in the mail database to confirm what was going on --
PLEASE, everyone, read and follow the instructions in the reply message!

Craig McClanahan

Posted by Warner Onstine <wa...@warneronstine.com>.
In your mail header you are listed as mperry@lbl.gov, that could be causing
some of the confusion.

-warner

tomcat-user-uc.971288305.daphagondongijbmhifm-mperry=portnoy.lbl.gov@jakarta

Posted by Paul FitzPatrick <cp...@fitzpatrick.cc>.
Looks like it miught be your email is getting rewritten.  Try using the
george.lbl.gov address, and also maybe try emailing from hotmail or another
free web email.

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:21:10 -0700 (PDT)

Marcia Perry                            MPerry@lbl.gov
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory   WORK#  (510) 486-6786
1 Cyclotron Road                        FAX#   (510) 486-6363
Berkeley, CA 94720     			MS: 50A-3111