Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com> on 2014/10/14 20:12:30 UTC

best strategy for starting daemons and forking procs during maven integration tests?

I want to run more integration tests as my daemons and command line apps
sometimes have bugs that I’d like to catch before a release.

9/10 these are Guice bindings and pretty easy to figure out what’s
happening quickly.

I would like to actually create new processes as a lot of Java code just
doesn’t do a good job at cleaning up after itself.  Mostly this is due to
leaving Threads around and other incomplete shutdown issues.

my biggest concern is running maven, and then accidentally leaving a
process around afterwards.  I’d like to avoid this problem entirely…

One idea is to run everything in a Docker container, then kill the
container after.

Thoughts? would love to see what others have done here.

--

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*