Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/10 17:00:07 UTC

Jackrabbit 1.5.3 release plan

Hi,

Fixes are again accumulating in the trunk and there seems to be some
demand for a new patch release. So I'm planning to do a 1.5.3 release
next week.

I'll be going through the issue tracker for candidate fixes to be
included in the 1.5 branch, but any input on what fixes you'd like to
see in the release is of course welcome.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Jackrabbit 1.5.3 release plan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Sandro Boehme <sa...@gmx.de> wrote:
> if that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1959 would be easy to
> solve it would be nice if it would be part of the 1.5.3 realease.

Looks like this could be a classpath issue. See my comment on the issue.

Posted by Sandro Boehme <sa...@gmx.de>.
Hi Jukka,

if that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1959 would be easy to
solve it would be nice if it would be part of the 1.5.3 realease.

Bye,

Sandro

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@mulesource.com>.
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Dan, I hope you'll be OK with a custom build for now until Jackrabbit
> 1.6 is out?

That is fine.
I know I need to clean up the patch yet and get it back, but I've been busy
fighting fires this week. Expect something in the next couple days.
Regards,
Dan

--
Dan Diephouse

Re: Jackrabbit 1.5.3 release plan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Marcel Reutegger
<ma...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:14, Marcel Reutegger
> <ma...@gmx.net> wrote:
>> I'll have a look at the patch today and provide feedback.
>
> this feature also requires changes to jackrabbit-spi-commons. that's
> where the query parsers are located. IIUC, the plan is to just release
> a jackrabbit-core 1.5.3, right?

We'll release everything in the 1.5 branch, but only those components
that have been changed have their version numbers updated to 1.5.3 and
binary artifacts uploaded to the central Maven repository.

> I think we should rather defer this to the 1.6 release, otherwise we
> introduce dependencies between patch releases of the 1.5 branch. that
> is, a jackrabbit-core 1.5.3 would require a jackrabbit-spi-commons
> 1.5.3.

Hmm, agreed. Jackrabbit 1.6 is a better place for that.

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
<ma...@gmx.net> wrote:
> I'll have a look at the patch today and provide feedback.

this feature also requires changes to jackrabbit-spi-commons. that's
where the query parsers are located. IIUC, the plan is to just release
a jackrabbit-core 1.5.3, right?

I think we should rather defer this to the 1.6 release, otherwise we
introduce dependencies between patch releases of the 1.5 branch. that
is, a jackrabbit-core 1.5.3 would require a jackrabbit-spi-commons
1.5.3.

regards
 marcel

Re: Jackrabbit 1.5.3 release plan

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Dan Diephouse
<da...@mulesource.com> wrote:
> Do I have a choice? :-)

In fact you do. On a few occasions we have bended the release policies
a bit in cases like yours where an external product release depends on
some specific feature in Jackrabbit.

So we could consider doing something like this also in 1.5.3. However,
we should put extra care in reviewing the full impact of the change.
I'd like to hear especially from Marcel, who knows the query system
best.

Another alternative is to speed up the schedule for 1.6, which we
could also do based on demand for the new features. However, your
schedule seems to be pretty tight for that to be a realistic option,
as a Jackrabbit minor release has typically taken from a few weeks to
a a few months of preparation.

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@mulesource.com>.
Do I have a choice? :-) Ideally we could get it in 1.5.3 soon and depend on
it so we can use it in the next update of our product which is coming out
soon.  (within a month)  However, I understand the realities of the release
process as well. So if it doesn't make it in 1.5.3, we'll use our own patch
version.
Cheers,
Dan

--
Dan Diephouse

Re: Jackrabbit 1.5.3 release plan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@mulesource.com>.
Hi Jukka,
I've attached a patch for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1659 and

--
Dan Diephouse

Re: Jackrabbit 1.5.3 release plan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Grégory Joseph
<gr...@magnolia-cms.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out what causes JCR-1952 - unless it's something stupid
> on my part, it seems pretty much like a blocker bug, even though it doesn't
> happen on all platforms.

Agreed, that's a pretty serious issue, though it only seems to affect
users in specific environments. See my comment on the issue, knowing
the exact version of Xalan you had would help solve the issue.

Posted by Grégory Joseph <gr...@magnolia-cms.com>.
I'm trying to figure out what causes JCR-1952 - unless it's something
stupid on my part, it seems pretty much like a blocker bug, even
though it doesn't happen on all platforms.

Cheers,

-g

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:18 AM, philipp_s <ps...@qpass.com> wrote:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1554 but I think this already in...

Yes. Here's the list of fixes I've already merged to 1.5.3.

  [JCR-1334] Deadlock due different Thread access while prepare and commit ...
  [JCR-1554] StaleItemStateException with distributed transactions
  [JCR-1889] Incorrect support for java interfaces in typed collection fields
  [JCR-1941] AccessManager asks for property (jcr:created) permissions ...
  [JCR-1956] Database Data Store: close result sets
  [JCR-1970] populate.jsp uses Java 1.5 method

Posted by philipp_s <ps...@qpass.com>.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1554 but I think this already in...

thx!

Philipp

Re: Jackrabbit 1.5.3 release plan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fixes are again accumulating in the trunk and there seems to be some
> demand for a new patch release. So I'm planning to do a 1.5.3 release
> next week.

See below for the list of fixes currently going to the 1.5.3 release.

  [JCR-1334] Deadlock due different Thread access while prepare and ...
  [JCR-1554] StaleItemStateException with distributed transactions
  [JCR-1889] Incorrect support for java interfaces in typed collection fields
  [JCR-1923] Startup fails if clustered jackrabbit is upgrade from 1.4.4 to 1.5
  [JCR-1941] AccessManager asks for property (jcr:created) permissions ...
  [JCR-1956] Database Data Store: close result sets
  [JCR-1970] populate.jsp uses Java 1.5 method
  [JCR-1979] Deadlock on concurrent read & transactional write operations

There's still some testing of JCR-1979 going on that's keeping me from
cutting the release.

I unfortunately haven't had time to look deeper at JCR-1959, so that
issue will most likely not be fixed in the release. Also, as
discussed, the JCR-1659 feature will not be included.

The XML serialization issue JCR-1952 is a borderline case. We have two
reasonable options on how to fix that, but I'm afraid that both carry
a notable risk of introducing other regressions. Would people be fine
if we postponed the fix to 1.5.4 in March? This way we'd have more
time to consider the alternatives. Meanwhile there's the
not-so-nice-but-working workaround noted in the issue.

Putting all this together, we won't have the release out this week. My
current plan is to cut the release over the weekend, which should make
the release officially available later next week.

BR,

Jukka Zitting