Posted to dev@oozie.apache.org by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/12 21:36:56 UTC

Your project uses a possibly LGPL dependency: com.icegreen.greenmail:greenmail

Hi, my name is Steve Rowe, and I'm a member of the Apache Lucene PMC.

We recently discovered that the "greenmail" Java library, which declares
its license as ASLv2 in its POM and elsewhere, has LGPL license headers in
its source code files.  In response the Lucene project reverted a recent
commit containing this depedency.

I conducted a survey of current Apache releases and found that four Apache
projects include source code that links to the "greenmail" library:
Syncope, OODT, Oozie and Geronimo.  Additionally, Axis2 has a Maven POM
that includes a "greenmail" dependency, though I couldn't find any current
releases containing this dependency.  Details are posted on <
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-206>; I would appreciate your
project's involvement.

An issue was filed with the greenmail project on Sourceforge earlier this
year asking for clarification <http://sourceforge.net/p/greenmail/bugs/8/>,
but there has been no response on that issue, or any other issue, for that
matter - the project may be dead, as it has seen no activity for some time.

Steve

Re: Your project uses a possibly LGPL dependency: com.icegreen.greenmail:greenmail

Posted by ke...@apache.org.
Same with Aapche OODT. We use it soley in the test <scope> to ensure our IMAP handling works.

--k

Posted by Robert Kanter <rk...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Robert Kanter <rk...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Robert Kanter <rk...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Robert Kanter <rk...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Robert Kanter <rk...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Steve. For clarity:

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Steve. For clarity:

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Steve. For clarity:

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Steve,

The Greenmail library is used exclusively in unit tests. It is neither
distributed with the Apache Axis2 product nor required for it to
operate. Therefore, even if Greenmail turned out to be LGPL licensed,
this would not be an issue for the Axis2 project.

Andreas

Posted by Hendrik Dev <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alan,

sure, i am glad if i can help you porting the tests.
Its beta because its new and not really proven.
If you don't have a problem with that there it is a chance for the lib
to mature which i would grab.

Regards
Hendrik

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Hendrik Dev <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 12/07/2014 21:36, Steve Rowe wrote:
> Hi, my name is Steve Rowe, and I'm a member of the Apache Lucene PMC.
>
> We recently discovered that the "greenmail" Java library, which declares
> its license as ASLv2 in its POM and elsewhere, has LGPL license headers in
> its source code files.  In response the Lucene project reverted a recent
> commit containing this depedency.
>
> I conducted a survey of current Apache releases and found that four Apache
> projects include source code that links to the "greenmail" library:
> Syncope, OODT, Oozie and Geronimo.  Additionally, Axis2 has a Maven POM
> that includes a "greenmail" dependency, though I couldn't find any current
> releases containing this dependency.  Details are posted on <
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-206>; I would appreciate your
> project's involvement.
>
> An issue was filed with the greenmail project on Sourceforge earlier this
> year asking for clarification <http://sourceforge.net/p/greenmail/bugs/8/>,
> but there has been no response on that issue, or any other issue, for that
> matter - the project may be dead, as it has seen no activity for some time.

Hi Steve,
thanks for pointing this out: I will join the discussion @ LEGAL-206.

We are using GreenMail in our test code - as reported in the issue above
- in order to check whether the notification subsystem is working
properly, e,g, the test code first set Syncope to use GreeMail as SMTP
server, then checks via POP3 that e-mails with expected subject and
content are effectively found.

Moreover, as also said in the issue above, this affects either 1_0_X
(until latest 1.0.9), 1_1_X (until latest 1.1.8), 1_2_X and trunk.

I am going to check at LEGAL-206 if it is fine to remove any GreenMail
reference from our test code and let this AL 2.0 Maven plugin [1] to
take care of starting / stopping GreenMail - as the references in our
test code just perform such start / stop tasks.

If not, we will need to review our tests and rely on an alternative SMTP
test server like as SubEthaSMTP [2] - which seems to be *actually* AL 2.0.

Regards.

[1] http://emailserver-maven-plugin.btmatthews.com/
[2] https://code.google.com/p/subethasmtp/

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Your project uses a possibly LGPL dependency: com.icegreen.greenmail:greenmail

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Steve. For clarity:

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Steve. For clarity: