Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Saikat Maitra <sa...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/07 16:43:54 UTC

SPARQL Query Caching

Hi

I am Saikat, I am new to Apache Jena and I would like to contribute to
SPARQL Query Caching (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JENA-626).

I would like to know if someone has already taken up the issue and
currently working on it. I have reviewed the old messages in developers
mail list and I suppose this issue is currently still Unassigned.

Regards
Saikat

Re: SPARQL Query Caching

Posted by Saikat Maitra <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hello Andy,

Thank you for your email. For the caching layer in addition to in-memory
local cache option, I am considering to build provision to use couchbase or
memcache as an option to use remote cache instances from Fuseki server.

Please let me know your feedback.

Regards
Saikat

Re: SPARQL Query Caching

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Saikat,

Comments inline

On 08/01/15 12:27, Saikat Maitra wrote:
> Hi Andy
>
> Thank you for your email and sharing the external cache implementation. It
> certainly helped me to understand some of the usecases better.
>
> I am thinking to implement the caching layer with a provision to use any of
> the options below.

Good - I think the key is to get the right abstractions in the code with
different implementations.

> 1. We can use in-memory operation using Guava library and have regular
> schedule for execution of task to persist the data in disk.
>
> 2. The second option is to provide capabilities to use couchbase buckets to
> store the cache results and have a separate couchbase cluster instance.

Realisically, for most deployments, in-memory is more important.
Especially as the cost-effective size of servers RAM these days seems to
be going up so quickly.

I don't know enough about couchbase buckets -- which features do you see
as most relevant here?  As a pratical matter - can they be used
separately from couchbase?

> I am still reading the Fuseki2 server code to understand the server work
> area.

	Andy

Re: SPARQL Query Caching

Posted by Saikat Maitra <sa...@gmail.com>.