Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Martin Gadbois <ma...@colubris.com> on 2004/02/25 15:18:32 UTC

Bridge CVS to SVN

Re: Bridge CVS to SVN

Posted by Martin Gadbois <ma...@colubris.com>.

Re: Bridge CVS to SVN

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 09:18, Martin Gadbois wrote:

> Has anybody got a bridge from CVS to SVN?

Not currently.  This is a Really Hard Problem, and the return on
investment for all the programming time required is, in my opinion,
kinda low (Not to say that there's not someone out there who would write
it).

> I was planning to use such a bridge to run Subversion in parallel with CVS during a trial. This
> bridge would take all the commits from CVS and do a similar changeset for Subversion.
>
> This would be a good way to "exercise" Subversion using day-to-day commits from our dev team,
> develop or change our build procedure and tools, and build confidence for a complete switch to
> Subversion.

The recommended way to transition is to start a small "pilot" project
using Subversion to allow your users to get the feel of Subversion and
try out some of its features.  Then, after everyone realizes how much
CVS really sucks in comparison, you convert your existing repositories
to Subversion. :)

-Fitz